https://www.proz.com/forum/translation_theory_and_practice/97726-kids%3A_eur_portuguese_internet_computer_terminologysite_website_online_download_etc.html

KIDS: Eur Portuguese Internet & computer terminology...site, website, online, download, etc
Thread poster: eurolanguagesPt
eurolanguagesPt
eurolanguagesPt  Identity Verified
Local time: 07:29
Portuguese to English
+ ...
Feb 21, 2008

Hello fellow translators!

I know that the English language has dominated most of the world’s modern technologies, but still hear (and agree with them) many people complain that the European Portuguese language has many specific terms to translate the typical English terms (site, website, online, download, etc.).
I feel especially strong regarding this subject when it comes to areas that involve children; they should also learn the terms in their mother tongue! With all the
... See more
Hello fellow translators!

I know that the English language has dominated most of the world’s modern technologies, but still hear (and agree with them) many people complain that the European Portuguese language has many specific terms to translate the typical English terms (site, website, online, download, etc.).
I feel especially strong regarding this subject when it comes to areas that involve children; they should also learn the terms in their mother tongue! With all the TV programs and the internet they will definitely pick up on the English terminology and can benefit from knowing 2 languages (always a bonus)!
This thought hits me each time that I do my best to be loyal to the Portuguese language, during a translation, and then the reviewer throws away all of my hard work by switching a lot of it back to English; it just doesn’t seem right to me! Obviously there are situations where it is too complicated to stick to this theory, but most of the time there’s a Portuguese alternative.

I’d love to get some feedback…How would you translate the sample words that I wrote here?

Thank you all!
E. Melo
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

KIDS: Eur Portuguese Internet & computer terminology...site, website, online, download, etc

Translation news

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »