Which Trados version
Thread poster: GeorginaW
GeorginaW  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 18:55
German to English
Mar 11, 2008

I've just put my name down for a group purchase of Trados, having put it off for years and years. Now I'm being asked (having been successful) to tick a box whether I want
SDL Trados 2007 Freelance - Certification starter Pack - SDLX- TGB
or
SDL Trados 2007 Freelance - Certification starter Pack - Workbench - TGB.
HELP! What's the difference, and what should a beginner choose? (I have my name down for a person-to-person training session so that is taken care of.)

Direct link Reply with quote

Jan Willem van Dormolen  Identity Verified
Netherlands
English to Dutch
+ ...
Trados includes Workbench Mar 11, 2008

I don't understand. Trados INCLUDES Workbench. It would be a bit pointless to buy a version of Trados without it.
SDLX is a whole different program. Both Trados and SDLX do about the same thing - TM translation. They used to be competitors, but then SDL (the firm that created SDLX) bought Trados, and now, when you buy the one, you get the other.
At least, that's how it was a month ago when I bought the latest version of Trados - included were Workbench, TagEditor, SDLX and a couple of utilities.
So I am rather surprised that it would be at all possible to buy only parts of that package.

Barbara Barbara Zornig Stolk
Netherlands
Member (2007)
English to Dutch
Same question here Mar 11, 2008

Hi,

I have exactly the same question here. Apparently I have to choose ... I cannot find clear information on their site, phoning them hasn't helped me any further... have no clue what to do. There is no demo version. I'd like to know what the differences are and whether it depends on the type of translations, or the other software one's using?

Barbara Zornig

Margreet Logmans  Identity Verified
Netherlands
English to Dutch
+ ...
Certification Mar 11, 2008

Ok, this is confusing.

I think the software is the same, but the certification makes the difference.
There is a separate certification programme + exam for Workbench and another one for SDLX.
Since Workbench is - in my experience - the most common, I'd choose that one. You get the whole Trados package, but certification for Workbench, once you pass the exams.
If you want certification for SDLX, you'll have to buy the Certification pack separately.

HTH
Margreet

alessandra bocco  Identity Verified
Member (2006)
English to Italian
+ ...
Agree with Margreet Mar 11, 2008

Margreet is perfectly right, you only have to chose which training session and certification exam you prefer to take (you bought both softwares with the Group buy). I'll certainly chose Workbench, since it's the CAT tool I always use and it's the one most agencies require...
Alessandra

GeorginaW  Identity Verified
Germany
German to English
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Mar 11, 2008

Well I'll go for the Workbench version then (perhaps they want us to buy both!!). Thanks for the help, everyone.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Maria Castro[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Which Trados version

Advanced search

BaccS – Business Accounting Software
Modern desktop project management for freelance translators

BaccS makes it easy for translators to manage their projects, schedule tasks, create invoices, and view highly customizable reports. User-friendly, ProZ.com integration, community-driven development – a few reasons BaccS is trusted by translators!

More info »
PerfectIt consistency checker
Faster Checking, Greater Accuracy

PerfectIt helps deliver error-free documents. It improves consistency, ensures quality and helps to enforce style guides. It’s a powerful tool for pro users, and comes with the assurance of a 30-day money back guarantee.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs