Which Trados version
Thread poster: GeorginaW (X)
GeorginaW (X)
GeorginaW (X)  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 14:54
German to English
Mar 11, 2008

I've just put my name down for a group purchase of Trados, having put it off for years and years. Now I'm being asked (having been successful) to tick a box whether I want
SDL Trados 2007 Freelance - Certification starter Pack - SDLX- TGB
or
SDL Trados 2007 Freelance - Certification starter Pack - Workbench - TGB.
HELP! What's the difference, and what should a beginner choose? (I have my name down for a person-to-person training session so that is taken care of.)

Jan Willem van Dormolen (X)
Jan Willem van Dormolen (X)  Identity Verified
Netherlands
English to Dutch
+ ...
Trados includes Workbench Mar 11, 2008

I don't understand. Trados INCLUDES Workbench. It would be a bit pointless to buy a version of Trados without it.
SDLX is a whole different program. Both Trados and SDLX do about the same thing - TM translation. They used to be competitors, but then SDL (the firm that created SDLX) bought Trados, and now, when you buy the one, you get the other.
At least, that's how it was a month ago when I bought the latest version of Trados - included were Workbench, TagEditor, SDLX and a couple o
... See more
I don't understand. Trados INCLUDES Workbench. It would be a bit pointless to buy a version of Trados without it.
SDLX is a whole different program. Both Trados and SDLX do about the same thing - TM translation. They used to be competitors, but then SDL (the firm that created SDLX) bought Trados, and now, when you buy the one, you get the other.
At least, that's how it was a month ago when I bought the latest version of Trados - included were Workbench, TagEditor, SDLX and a couple of utilities.
So I am rather surprised that it would be at all possible to buy only parts of that package.
Collapse

Barbara Zornig Stolk
Barbara Zornig Stolk
Netherlands
English to Dutch
Same question here Mar 11, 2008

Hi,

I have exactly the same question here. Apparently I have to choose ... I cannot find clear information on their site, phoning them hasn't helped me any further... have no clue what to do. There is no demo version. I'd like to know what the differences are and whether it depends on the type of translations, or the other software one's using?

Barbara Zornig

Margreet Logmans (X)
Margreet Logmans (X)  Identity Verified
Netherlands
English to Dutch
+ ...
Certification Mar 11, 2008

Ok, this is confusing.

I think the software is the same, but the certification makes the difference.
There is a separate certification programme + exam for Workbench and another one for SDLX.
Since Workbench is - in my experience - the most common, I'd choose that one. You get the whole Trados package, but certification for Workbench, once you pass the exams.
If you want certification for SDLX, you'll have to buy the Certification pack separately.

HTH
... See more
Ok, this is confusing.

I think the software is the same, but the certification makes the difference.
There is a separate certification programme + exam for Workbench and another one for SDLX.
Since Workbench is - in my experience - the most common, I'd choose that one. You get the whole Trados package, but certification for Workbench, once you pass the exams.
If you want certification for SDLX, you'll have to buy the Certification pack separately.

HTH
Margreet
Collapse

alessandra bocco
alessandra bocco  Identity Verified
Member (2006)
English to Italian
+ ...
Agree with Margreet Mar 11, 2008

Margreet is perfectly right, you only have to chose which training session and certification exam you prefer to take (you bought both softwares with the Group buy). I'll certainly chose Workbench, since it's the CAT tool I always use and it's the one most agencies require...
Alessandra

GeorginaW (X)
GeorginaW (X)  Identity Verified
Germany
German to English
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Mar 11, 2008

Well I'll go for the Workbench version then (perhaps they want us to buy both!!). Thanks for the help, everyone.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Which Trados version

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »