Looking for a great dictionary EN < > FR
Thread poster: Jessica Van Humbeeck

Jessica Van Humbeeck  Identity Verified
Local time: 18:26
English to Dutch
+ ...
Mar 18, 2008

Hi There

I am looking for a dictionay ENG - FR - ENG like the DUtch Van Dale. Does anyone have any suggestions? It needs to be available as software.

Greetings from Belgium
Jessica

[Título editado por el personal o un moderador 2008-03-18 20:52]

Direct link Reply with quote

Christiane Hargrave  Identity Verified
Local time: 06:26
French to English
+ ...
Le Grand Robert & Collins CD-Rom Mar 19, 2008

Hi Jessica,

I use Le Grand Robert & Collins, which comes on CD-Rom and you can save it to your hard-drive (but your computer will ask you to put the CD-Rom in every so often, depending on how much you use it, so make sure you always have it with you).

It is very easy to use and has basically the same contents as the Collins Robert Dictionary and Thesaurus (Comprehensive Edition, Volume 1), although I don't think the CD-Rom has a thesaurus, however it does have the following:

-Comprehensive dictionary (ENG - FR - ENG)
-Idioms
-Compounds
-Phrasal verbs
-Cultural notes
-Abbreviations
-Proverbs

All of the above is in French and English, so it gives you the translations for both languages.

In fact I don't really use the actual paper dictionary much any more as the CD-Rom is so convenient and fast, and is very comprehensive.

You can buy it from Amazon.fr and it costs 75 euros - if you buy it at Amazon through my website, a portion of the money goes to UNICEF. Type 'Le Grand Robert & Collins Electronique' and search under 'Logiciels'.

See here: http://www.mylanguageworld.com/fr/translator-pages/Livres--langues-affilies.html

Or for Amazon.com go to the English page.

I'm not familiar with the Dutch Van Dale, but I highly recommend this one for Fr/Eng/Fr.
I just wish there was an Italian one as good as this one.

Good luck!

Christiane Hargrave
Director/Translator
My Language World Ltd

www.mylanguageworld.com

Jessica Van Humbeeck wrote:

Hi There

I am looking for a dictionay ENG - FR - ENG like the DUtch Van Dale. Does anyone have any suggestions? It needs to be available as software.

Greetings from Belgium
Jessica

[Título editado por el personal o un moderador 2008-03-18 20:52]

Tony M  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 18:26
French to English
+ ...
My favourite too Mar 19, 2008

Yes, I too use this, and find it excellent — despite one or two minor quibbles (typography, and some quirkiness about search results)

Just one thing: make sure you buy the latest release (the one I have is v1.2, I think, and AFAIK has not yet been superseded) — the earlier v1.1 was still being sold by some outlets, but I understand had more problems.

The only thing I miss is not being able to scribble annotations in the margin!

[Edited at 2008-03-19 07:55]

Carlopez
English to French
Collins Robert French-English Dictionary on CD-ROM Mar 19, 2008

The Collins Robert French-English Dictionary on CD-ROM is the best FR-EN dictionary on CD that I know of.

It is the English edition of "Le Grand Robert & Collins sur Cédérom" and is identical to the French edition except that it is not Macintosh compatible. The English edition is approximately 30% cheaper that the French one.

It is available at:

http://www.lexicool.com/collins-robert-french-english-dictionary-cd.asp

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Maria Castro[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Looking for a great dictionary EN < > FR

Advanced search

Translation news

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs