Mobile menu

EN/DE/FR glossary of EU terms
Thread poster: Kim Metzger

Kim Metzger  Identity Verified
Local time: 09:16
German to English
Apr 8, 2003

I just discovered what appears to be a treasure trove of EU terminology. I haven\'t studied it yet, so I\'m a little uncertain how to classify it. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Eurostat is one of the Directorates-General of the European Commission. Eurostat\'s mission is to provide the European Union with a high-quality statistical information service.

Eurostat gehört als eine der Generaldirektionen zur Europäische Kommission. Eurostat hat den Auftrag, der Europäischen Union einen qualitativ hochwertigen statistischen Informationsdienst bereitzustellen.

Eurostat fait partie de la Commission européenne, dont il est une des directions générales. Eurostat a pour mission de fournir à l\'Union européenne un service d\'information statistique de qualité.

Direct link Reply with quote

Local time: 16:16
German to English
+ ...
The proof of the pudding is the eating Apr 8, 2003

Looked indeed like a hell of a discovery and a great site until I made one small test, based on the word \"recycling\" which someone had asked about either today or yesterday. I do not know which answer was given to that question, but I was expecting to find a good German word like \"Wiedergebrauch\". Instead I find a good old acquaintance: \"recycling (von Abfällen)\". Am I missing something?

labusga  Identity Verified
Local time: 11:16
Member (2003)
German to Polish
+ ...
Thank you Kim Apr 8, 2003

Great link!

Mats Wiman  Identity Verified
Member (2000)
German to Swedish
+ ...

'Recycling' (eng) is 'Recycling' (deu) Apr 8, 2003

Thanks Kim for a super find!

Dear \'e-rich\',

You said:

\"I was expecting to find a good German word like \"Wiedergebrauch\". Instead I find a good old acquaintance: \"recycling (von Abfällen)\". Am I missing something?\"

IMHO, Yes. During my 13 years in Germany I never heard anything else but \'Recycling\'.

There are other funny imports:

\"Last but not least\" \"die Queen\", French \"le meeting\", \"le parking\" etc.

Mats J C Wiman

Übersetzer/Translator/Traducteur/Traductor > swe Deu>swe moderator

Träsk 201

SE-872 97 Skog

Tel : +46-612-54112

Fax : +46-612-54181

Mobile: +46-70-5769797

Barnaby Capel-Dunn  Identity Verified
French to English
Many thanks Apr 8, 2003

Many thanks, Kim. This is a new one to me. Looks like a veritable gold mine!

All the best

Justine Manyo  Identity Verified
Member (2009)
English to French
+ ...
Thank you very much Kim. It's great !!! Apr 8, 2003

Thank you very much Kim. It\'s great !!!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Maria Castro[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

EN/DE/FR glossary of EU terms

Advanced search

Translation news

PerfectIt consistency checker
Faster Checking, Greater Accuracy

PerfectIt helps deliver error-free documents. It improves consistency, ensures quality and helps to enforce style guides. It’s a powerful tool for pro users, and comes with the assurance of a 30-day money back guarantee.

More info »
Want to earn more in your spare time? Monetize your knowledge!

Do you speak one or more foreign languages? Fluency in target language + willingness & ability to help people in everyday situations could earn you $45 / hour. Download “Quiick Angel” app & become a guardian angel today

More info »

All of
  • All of
  • Term search
  • Jobs