Text aligner
Thread poster: javitxu
javitxu
javitxu
English to Spanish
Mar 31, 2008

Hi all,

I have a paralel corpus and I need to align it for term extraction purposes. The term extractor that I plan to use requires for the input corpus to have the following format: Original sentence tab Translated sentence return.

I have tried several aligners (WinAlling, Transit) but neither of them seem to do the work for me. WinAllign inserts different tags which I don't need and with Transit I just haven't been able to export the aligned files, so I don't know wh
... See more
Hi all,

I have a paralel corpus and I need to align it for term extraction purposes. The term extractor that I plan to use requires for the input corpus to have the following format: Original sentence tab Translated sentence return.

I have tried several aligners (WinAlling, Transit) but neither of them seem to do the work for me. WinAllign inserts different tags which I don't need and with Transit I just haven't been able to export the aligned files, so I don't know what the output format is.

Anyway, I wanted to ask if anybody of you knows a software (preferably free) which can align a paralel text and output the alignment in the format that I specified above: Original sentence tab Translated sentence return (or ant other format wich could be converted to this one automatically).

I would really appreciate some help with this problem.

Thanks in advance,

Javi
Collapse

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 19:55
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
PlusTools Mar 31, 2008

javitxu wrote:

The format in which PlusTools' aligner puts the text just before it exports it to TM, is a simple, two-column MS Word table. PlusTools is free. To the question "has this text been segmented by Wordfast", answer "yes" if your input text is already segmented (by sentence or by paragraph), but if you want PlusTools to attempt the segmentation, answer "no". If PlusTools' segmentation attempts fail to inspire, use Wordfast to "Extract" the text first (and in Wordfast you tweak the segmentation).

Vladimir Shelukhin
Vladimir Shelukhin  Identity Verified
Local time: 20:55
English to Russian
+ ...
In memoriam
Simplest way Mar 31, 2008

javitxu wrote:
WinAllign inserts different tags which I don't need…
So the job has ben done once? Instead of looking for some new piece of software instead of doing what is paid for, I'd rather simply remove the nasty tags. Such procedure usually takes 1 to 10 minutes in Word, depending on tags format.

javitxu
javitxu
English to Spanish
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Mar 31, 2008

Thanks to both of you!!

Your replies really helped me. The corpus is too big for me to delete the tags inserted by WillAlign manually, so I think I will finally use Plus Tools. That was really what I was looking for.

Thanks again,
Javi

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Text aligner

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »