Mobile menu

Any Good Digital Pocket Translators?
Thread poster: Antonio Posada

Antonio Posada
Local time: 01:02
English to Spanish
+ ...
Apr 11, 2003

My girlfriend asked if I could recommend any of those digital pocket translators sold in stores. As I never use these, quite frankly, I have no idea if they are any good. Does anybody know? Whould like to hear from you all. Thanks!



_________________



[ This Message was edited by: Antonio Posada on 2003-04-12 21:49]


Direct link Reply with quote
 

Nikita Kobrin  Identity Verified
Lithuania
Local time: 09:02
Member (2010)
English to Russian
+ ...
Just for survival Apr 13, 2003

Quote:


On 2003-04-11 23:03, Antonio Posada wrote:

My girlfriend asked if I could recommend any of those digital pocket translators sold in stores. As I never use these, quite frankly, I have no idea if they are any good. Does anybody know?





I\'ve never used them either but I can suppose that from the professional point of view these tools are rubbish (like any other type of MT).



If you want just to survive in a foreign country they may be of some use.



Regards,

Nikita Kobrin

Direct link Reply with quote
 

Antonio Posada
Local time: 01:02
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
:) Just what I thought! Apr 13, 2003

My personal experiences with pocket translators/dictionaries have been few and disappointing. I agree: maybe for travel, but not for much else. That said, I did want to know if my first impressions might be wrong. Thanks for taking the time to provide input. Antonio

Direct link Reply with quote
 

Rick Henry  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 01:02
Italian to English
+ ...
Agree about pocket translators, however... Apr 14, 2003

dictionaries made for Palm devices, Pocket PCs and more recently the Zaurus are becoming increasingly useful. It can be handy having a 70,000-80,000 word dictionary on a handheld device - even more so if the dictionary program allows for your own additions.



R.

==

Quote:


On 2003-04-13 08:43, Nikita Kobrin wrote:

Quote:


On 2003-04-11 23:03, Antonio Posada wrote:

My girlfriend asked if I could recommend any of those digital pocket translators sold in stores. As I never use these, quite frankly, I have no idea if they are any good. Does anybody know?





I\'ve never used them either but I can suppose that from the professional point of view these tools are rubbish (like any other type of MT).



If you want just to survive in a foreign country they may be of some use.



Regards,

Nikita Kobrin



Direct link Reply with quote
 

Nikita Kobrin  Identity Verified
Lithuania
Local time: 09:02
Member (2010)
English to Russian
+ ...
Dimensions: 90 x 135 x 23 mm; Volume: 125,000 words with definitions Apr 14, 2003

[quote]

On 2003-04-14 15:23, Rick Henry wrote:

It can be handy having a 70,000-80,000 word dictionary on a handheld device

[quote]



Yes, I know one really handy handheld tool: Harrap\'s Mini English Dictionary. Not digital though. But I would like to underline once again: 125,000 words with definitions on your palm!!!



Regards,

Nikita Kobrin



Direct link Reply with quote
 

Antonio Posada
Local time: 01:02
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Pocket Translators Apr 18, 2003

Thanks Nikita Kobrin and Rick Henry for your input. I currently use Merriam-Webster\'s CD-rom dictionary. 500+ MB, 300,000+ words. It even has pronunciation. This is a tool I would recommend to anyone, even translators. Saves heaps of time. However, it\'s too big to fit on a PalmPilot. I do wish I could find a similarly good Spanish dictionary. In the meantime, will check into Zaurus and Harrap\'s.
[addsig]


Direct link Reply with quote
 


To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Maria Castro[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Any Good Digital Pocket Translators?

Advanced search


Translation news





TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
SDL Trados Studio 2017 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 250,000 translators.

SDL Trados Studio 2017 helps translators increase translation productivity whilst ensuring quality. Combining translation memory, terminology management and machine translation in one simple and easy-to-use environment.

More info »



All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs