About the CIA...
Thread poster: sylver
sylver
sylver  Identity Verified
Local time: 15:49
English to French
Apr 12, 2003

Do they do anything beside shooting innocent bypasser in zone B movies?

I didn\'t thing so but I just came accross by their web site, and it\'s a heck of a lot of infos on it.

Compact analyses of about every country you can think of, from the language spoken to environnemtal issues, population count, phone line coverage, road infrastructucture ... (not all is to be taken as facts, of course. France is supposed to have 83 to 88% of roman catholics, and
... See more
Do they do anything beside shooting innocent bypasser in zone B movies?

I didn\'t thing so but I just came accross by their web site, and it\'s a heck of a lot of infos on it.

Compact analyses of about every country you can think of, from the language spoken to environnemtal issues, population count, phone line coverage, road infrastructucture ... (not all is to be taken as facts, of course. France is supposed to have 83 to 88% of roman catholics, and I will be dammned if we even have 20% actually belonging to that religion.) Nevertheless, if you are looking for general data on a country, have a look, it\'s worth it. Data can also be gathered by theme which allows you to compare the different country for a single criteria, such as language.

\"World Factbook\" www.cia.gov/cia/publications/factbook/index.html

There is also a link to the \"The George Bush Center for Intelligence\" on the home page, althought I wonder what that may be.

At first glance, it doesn\'t look like there is much anything else worth a translator\'s visit there, but that bit is certainly interesting none the less.
Collapse

Juan Jacob
Juan Jacob  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 01:49
French to Spanish
+ ...
Pas mal... Apr 12, 2003

Ça servira au moins à mes gosses à faire leurs devoirs de géo ! J\'ai pas jetté un coup d\'oeil sur leur \"histoire\" des pays, mais je crains le pire !

Merci.

Juan.

jccantrell
jccantrell  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 00:49
Member (2005)
German to English
Factbook is actually quite good Apr 14, 2003

If you are looking for the name of a country in American English, it gives the official name of the country, its short name, the name in the local language and lots of other little factoids that will help a translator out at times.

Great site, IMHO.

P.S. As far as France being Catholic, if you are baptised as a child and never do anything to actively get OUT of the church, does the government still count you as Catholic? I think so.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

About the CIA...

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »