https://www.proz.com/forum/translator_resources/10246-could_someone_advice_me_on_pdf_conversion.html

Could someone advice me on PDF conversion
Thread poster: Pablo Villadangos
Pablo Villadangos
Pablo Villadangos  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 22:19
Member (2003)
German to Spanish
+ ...
Apr 14, 2003

Hello,

I would be grateful if someone could advice me on the best way to convert PDF files into RTF or DOC format. I know Acrobat does it, but would like to know if publishing tools, such as PageMaker, FrameMaker and others also include tools to do the same besides incorporating more powerful features. I\'d like to hear also about the main differences between Acrobat Standard and Professional and which version you find most helpful for a freelancer like me.

Thank you.
<
... See more
Hello,

I would be grateful if someone could advice me on the best way to convert PDF files into RTF or DOC format. I know Acrobat does it, but would like to know if publishing tools, such as PageMaker, FrameMaker and others also include tools to do the same besides incorporating more powerful features. I\'d like to hear also about the main differences between Acrobat Standard and Professional and which version you find most helpful for a freelancer like me.

Thank you.

Collapse

achisholm
achisholm
United Kingdom
Local time: 21:19
Italian to English
+ ...
Finereader Apr 14, 2003

Since I don\'t own a copy of Acrobat (full version) I can\'t make any comments on that. However, I do have a copy of finereader professional (V6) which does have the capacity to read .pdf files and then you can convert them to word or whatever format you porefer.

Mats Wiman
Mats Wiman  Identity Verified
Sweden
Member (2000)
German to Swedish
+ ...
In memoriam
Search these Forums for 'Gemini' Apr 15, 2003

and you\'ll get to know a lot.

BR

Mats J C Wiman

Übersetzer/Translator/Traducteur/Traductor > swe

See more
and you\'ll get to know a lot.

BR

Mats J C Wiman

Übersetzer/Translator/Traducteur/Traductor > swe

http://www.MatsWiman.com

http://www.Deutsch-Schwedisch.com

http://www.proz.com/translator/1749 Deu>swe Proz.com moderator

eMail: [email protected]

Träsk 201

SE-872 97 Skog

Tel : +46-612-54112

Fax : +46-612-54181

Mobile: +46-70-5769797

Collapse

Matthew Kinnersly
Matthew Kinnersly  Identity Verified
Local time: 05:19
Japanese to English
Google cache Apr 15, 2003

If the document has been published online it may have been read by google. If it\'s on Google there\'s probably a link to \"view as HTML\". You can view the html version, copy and paste it into wordpad to clean away the hidden text, and then move it to Word or whatever. Most often you\'ll still have to tidy it up a bit, with reference to the original, but if the original text is not very complex it can be worth using this methods. It\'s inelegant and only applies to limited circumstances, but it... See more
If the document has been published online it may have been read by google. If it\'s on Google there\'s probably a link to \"view as HTML\". You can view the html version, copy and paste it into wordpad to clean away the hidden text, and then move it to Word or whatever. Most often you\'ll still have to tidy it up a bit, with reference to the original, but if the original text is not very complex it can be worth using this methods. It\'s inelegant and only applies to limited circumstances, but it doesn\'t require any extra software.

Matt
Collapse

Pablo Villadangos
Pablo Villadangos  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2003)
German to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Problems with tables Apr 15, 2003

Thank you to all for responding. The actual problem for me is how to preserve the formatting of tables on a PDF document. If you select the text in Acrobat READER, you can paste the text into a Word document, but the text inside the tables is separated only by spaces and the tables are gone. In my case, I have a large document with lots of tables and few real text. This means that I have to redo all the tables and this takes a lot of time, plus I cannot preserve the original formatting as though... See more
Thank you to all for responding. The actual problem for me is how to preserve the formatting of tables on a PDF document. If you select the text in Acrobat READER, you can paste the text into a Word document, but the text inside the tables is separated only by spaces and the tables are gone. In my case, I have a large document with lots of tables and few real text. This means that I have to redo all the tables and this takes a lot of time, plus I cannot preserve the original formatting as though I convert the PDF file to RTF (using TagEditor for example). Hence my question. I know the Google possibility, but my document doesn\'t come from the Internet. Any ideas about how to get around this? Thank you again.

Collapse

Cedomir Pusica
Cedomir Pusica  Identity Verified
Serbia
Member (2009)
English to Serbian
+ ...
Would love to know it myself Nov 29, 2009

If you ever find that out, please tell me the secret! I am using ABBY Fine Reader, and it sometimes does a good job, but sometimes screws up table formatting and does not recognize well parts of text. However, it is the best tool I have used, which does not mean it is the best one.

As for Adobe Reader, I never knew it had this feature of converting a pdf file into Word or any other format, which always struck me as incredible. There must be a way. So, please, if you find it - send
... See more
If you ever find that out, please tell me the secret! I am using ABBY Fine Reader, and it sometimes does a good job, but sometimes screws up table formatting and does not recognize well parts of text. However, it is the best tool I have used, which does not mean it is the best one.

As for Adobe Reader, I never knew it had this feature of converting a pdf file into Word or any other format, which always struck me as incredible. There must be a way. So, please, if you find it - send me an email! Cheers!
Collapse

José Henrique Lamensdorf
José Henrique Lamensdorf  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 17:19
English to Portuguese
+ ...
In memoriam
TWO types of PDF files Nov 29, 2009

Some PDF files are scanned from paper. The letter "O" there is not a letter, it's a circle. It's not editable text. You'll need OCR software (e.g. OmniPage, ABBYYm and others) to convert that into text.

Other PDF files are "distilled" from any application capable of printing to a Postscript printer (it's a standard, not a printer brand). You can edit these files with InFix, from http://www.iceni.com . T
... See more
Some PDF files are scanned from paper. The letter "O" there is not a letter, it's a circle. It's not editable text. You'll need OCR software (e.g. OmniPage, ABBYYm and others) to convert that into text.

Other PDF files are "distilled" from any application capable of printing to a Postscript printer (it's a standard, not a printer brand). You can edit these files with InFix, from http://www.iceni.com . They have a new Pro version under development (beta available) that exports tagged text to XML files, and then imports the tagged text files into the right places in the PDF. InFix then has the resources for you to adjust the layout as needed.
Collapse

Carsten Wollen
Carsten Wollen
German to Italian
+ ...
Infix might be the right solution Aug 10, 2011

Cedomir Pusica wrote:

As for Adobe Reader, I never knew it had this feature of converting a pdf file into Word or any other format, which always struck me as incredible. There must be a way. So, please, if you find it - send me an email! Cheers!

Hi there !
Yes, you can use Adobe Acrobat to do the job, but personally I've found a much better way. You can simply download InFix. It's a great pdf editor it allows you to edit/translate text directly into the pdf, so you can see the page layout, without losing any formatting, or, of course it allows you to save your file as rtf and then you can open it and work as you would normally do with Word or similar program. Personally, Infix has saved me tons of time. They have a free version available on their website. Hope it helps!

José Henrique Lamensdorf
José Henrique Lamensdorf  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 17:19
English to Portuguese
+ ...
In memoriam
Update on InFix Aug 10, 2011

My message above is quite old.

InFix Pro is now fully functional now for translation. I have described the process on this page.

Regarding the free demo, it saves your PDFs with a watermark. They offer two options: buying the software license, or "paying per save" (without the watermark). Check their web s
... See more
My message above is quite old.

InFix Pro is now fully functional now for translation. I have described the process on this page.

Regarding the free demo, it saves your PDFs with a watermark. They offer two options: buying the software license, or "paying per save" (without the watermark). Check their web site http://www.iceni.com for details.

One piece of advice: InFix is one software where you must read the manual. Many things are quite intuitive, as long as you understand how the developers' intuition works.
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Could someone advice me on PDF conversion

Translation news

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »