Mobile menu

Web page translated with Wordfast, but translation doesn't appear on final HTML file
Thread poster: Marta Amigo

Marta Amigo  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 12:17
English to Spanish
+ ...
Apr 20, 2008

Hi

I am new with Wordfast. I've just done a training course and I loved the program, but I have a problem. When I translate a web page using wordfast, I do the clean up at the end (as in User Manual) and close the Word file. But when I try to open the original HTML file by double clicking on it hoping to find it all translated, that is still showing the original English.

Has anyone had this problem?

Thanks very much

Marta

Direct link Reply with quote

Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 13:17
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Try saving the DOC as HTML Apr 20, 2008

Marta Amigo wrote:
But when I try to open the original HTML file by double clicking on it hoping to find it all translated, that is still showing the original English.

I don't generally translate HTML in Wordfast, but try this: after you do the cleanup, save the DOC file as HTML (well, actually, save it as "encoded text" and then rename it from DOC to HTML).

United Kingdom
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
That doesn't seem to work... Apr 21, 2008

Thanks Samuel, that doesn't seem to work unfortunately but thank you for your help anyhow.

Lori Cirefice  Identity Verified
France
French to English
Did you ... Apr 21, 2008

Try cleaning up again, just in case ?

Never had this problem, and I translate html with Wordfast on a regular basis.

I wonder if your original html file somehow got "unlinked" from the word file? Did you rename either file, or save either one in a different place on your computer ? If that's the case, try putting the files back in the exact same file path where they were originally stored when you tagged the file. This worked for me once when I had to switch to a new computer mid-project.

United Kingdom
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
I tried that Apr 21, 2008

Hi Lori, thanks. Yes, they are in the same folder, always have been. I don't understand... When you've finished the translation, do you save the Word file as Word or as RTF or what?

thanks a lot

France
French to English
I save as .doc Apr 21, 2008

Here is how I usually proceed :

1) Receive html file and make a copy named fileXXX_EN

2) Tag the fileXXX_EN using plus tools +Tweak (!01 HTML tagger)

3) Translate the resulting word file as usual in wordfast, saving normally as I go along

4) Once translation is finished and proofed, clean-up, which updates my fileXXX_EN and leaves me with a segmented word file that I keep just in case. I can go back to my segmented word file and make changes to it, and re-clean up if necessary to update the HTML file.

5) Check the HTML file to make sure the layout is ok and all characters look normal ...

United Kingdom
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
do you save set up in Plus Tools after tagging Apr 21, 2008

Hi Lori

do you first open the HTML doc in word and then tag it with Plus Tools?

do you SAVE SET UP with plus tools after tagging?

thanks

France
French to English
No Apr 21, 2008

Marta Amigo wrote:

Hi Lori

do you first open the HTML doc in word and then tag it with Plus Tools?

do you SAVE SET UP with plus tools after tagging?

thanks

No, I don't open the HTML file in word at all before tagging. I select the files to be tagged from the left-hand menu in plus tools, but the file itself is not open anywhere during tagging.

Not sure what you mean about SAVE SET UP ... have you personalized your +Tweak in some way, so it's asking if you want to save the set up ??

United Kingdom
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks all. Problem sorted. Apr 23, 2008

Thank you all very much for your replies.

I finally sorted the problem. Here is how you proceed to translated HTML files in Wordfast (at least this is one of the ways!)

Follow the steps below:

Open the EN html file, start wordfast and say Yes when it asks you if you want to tag the files for translation.

Then go on translating segment by segment. Be VERY careful not to delete any tag by accident (best way is to keep the tag protection ON, CTRL+Alt+F12)

When you're done, do the clean up (and say yes when it asks you to update the translation memory).

Once the clean up is done, you should not have any English text left in the word document, only tags and your translation. NOW what you need to do is to save the file as text file, .txt.

Now close the file and close Word.

Then go to wherever you saved the file (I usually save it on desktop, just for practical reasons), right click on your file icon and select Rename. Now change the file extension from .txt to .html.

Click yes when it asks you to confirm. Now the little icon should change to visualize the E typical of Internet explorer.

Now you can open the file in Word (like you did with the original) and it should work:)

Be careful NOT to modify anything at this stage, tho. If you notice some mistake, go back to the clean word file and correct it there, then resave as text file and repeat the process above:)

I hope this will be useful to someone else!

Marta

Sergei Tumanov  Identity Verified
Local time: 14:17
English to Russian
+ ...
you did it slightly in the wrong way Apr 23, 2008

Visit the page http://www.translate.com/technology/tools/
and download the Enlaso localization tools archive.

Though it's free, it is very powerful and user friendly.
Perfect results guaranteed.

[Edited at 2008-04-23 19:39]

[Edited at 2008-04-23 19:40]

United Kingdom
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Does this program have TM? Apr 24, 2008

Hi Sergei, thank you. Does this program that you mention have Translation memory like Wordfast? Or is it just an HTML translating tool?

Anyway, right or wrong, what I did with Wordfast seems to work!

Marta

France
French to English
Glad it worked out Apr 24, 2008

Although I'm not at all familiar with the steps you describe

A hint to help with not screwing up / deleting tags - you can turn on a QC feature under the "Setup" menu "QC" tab called "identical tags" and it will warn you if forget to insert a tag, or if the tags in source and target are not identical.

re: Enlaso tools mentioned by Sergei, no TM as far as I know. Rainbow is a tool to prepare the files for translation, I have not used it but understand that it has pretty much the same function as the plus tools tagger. The idea is to put all tags into a style that separates them from the actual text to be translated, the prepared file is to be used with your CAT tool, not as a replacement for your CAT tool.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Maria Castro[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Web page translated with Wordfast, but translation doesn't appear on final HTML file

Advanced search

Translation news

memoQ translator pro
Kilgray's memoQ is the world's fastest developing integrated localization & translation environment rendering you more productive and efficient.

With our advanced file filters, unlimited language and advanced file support, memoQ translator pro has been designed for translators and reviewers who work on their own, with other translators or in team-based translation projects.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs