SDL Trados: SDLX training vs. Translators Workbench
Thread poster: Bea Geenen

Bea Geenen  Identity Verified
Member (2008)
English to Dutch
+ ...
Apr 24, 2008

A question from a total CAT-illiterate:
I have decided to buy Trados through the Proz GroupBuy, and have been informed that I need to choose between the SDLX training and the Translators Workbench training. Can anyone tell me what the difference is? Apparently, the difference is only in the training, not in the software. I checked the SDL website, but that was not very helpful.

Direct link Reply with quote

Heinrich Pesch  Identity Verified
Local time: 13:25
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
Two different software in one package Apr 24, 2008

When you buy SDL Trados, you get SDLX and Trados. They are quite different softwares, but can be used for the same tasks and their file formats are quite well compatible.
You should evaluate the trial versions and decide, which you like more. There are also tutorials for these and other Translation environments.

I use both according to what the client wants or what kind of files they send.

You do not have to subscribe to training, most of us never had any real training for there software, but of course it helps. I guess training for SDLX would be more easy, 'cause the software is easier to use and better programmed. (IMHO)

[Bearbeitet am 2008-04-25 00:40]

Drew MacFadyen
Local time: 06:25
Further explanation Apr 24, 2008

Heinrich is correct in that the softwrae comes with both options. The option you choose is for the online training and certification exams. Most new translators utilize TRADOS Workbench more than SDLX. But you can always go back and take the certification exams and tutorials in either SDLX or WORKBENCH afterwards - but that of course would entail an additional fee to SDL.

Good luck

Bea Geenen  Identity Verified
Member (2008)
English to Dutch
+ ...
Thanks! Apr 28, 2008

Thanks, Drew and Heinrich! I've decided to go for the Workbench training first, and decide on the SDLX training later.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Maria Castro[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

SDL Trados: SDLX training vs. Translators Workbench

Advanced search

Translation news

Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »

All of
  • All of
  • Term search
  • Jobs