Mobile menu

Best spanish-english technical dicitonary?
Thread poster: Chris Bruton

Chris Bruton  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 00:14
Member (2006)
Spanish to English
Apr 25, 2008

One that would cover many fields, and be affordable. thanks

Direct link Reply with quote

Miguel Jimenez  Identity Verified
German to Spanish
+ ...
Brandstetter Apr 25, 2008

I think Brandstetter dictionaries are the best.
Are expensive but very good.

Best regards

Local time: 00:14
Spanish to English
Try Robb Apr 25, 2008

I and many of my colleaques here have found the "Engineer's Dictionary"/ Diccionario para Ingenieros" by Louis /Luis A. Robb as one of the most complete and accurate general technical dictionaries available, including terms not found in "specialized" (i.e. mining, geology, construction, electrical, etc) dictionaries.
The copy I use was published by CESCA, but as Mr. Robb is/was a member of the American Society of Civil Engineers, there are probably other publishers.

- Carolina  Identity Verified
Local time: 02:14
English to Spanish
+ ...
Another suggestion Apr 25, 2008

Hi Chris,

I'm afraid this is rather expensive but it is very good!

Collazo Dictionary English—Spanish of Informatics, Computing, and other subjects. Volumes I (A-R) and II (S-Z)

This work has two volumes which define more than 2500 words about boolean algebra, calculating, computer graphics, computers, minicomputers, electronica, satellite communications, internet, image technology, information technology, mathematics, statistics, microprocessors, data processing, data processing programs, data processing systems, telecommunications, television, information theory, text processing, videography, video technology, acoustics, electroacoustics, business administration, astronomy, auditing, finances, computational applications, graphic arts, automation of offices, science and technology, movies, theater, construction of models, mechanized accounting, inventory control, documentation and communications, studies of viability, geophysics, magnetism, systems engineering, linguistics, operating investigation, optics and rationalization of work.

Alfredo Fernández Martínez  Identity Verified
Local time: 07:14
English to Spanish
+ ...
Routledge are quite good Apr 25, 2008

And you can search for the word on the CD, rather than having to browse the paper edition.

It works good to me.

All the best,

Clarisa Moraña  Identity Verified
Local time: 02:14
Member (2002)
English to Spanish
+ ...
None Apr 25, 2008

Chris Bruton wrote:

One that would cover many fields, and be affordable. thanks

Sorry, but there is no single dictionary to cover your request. If they cover many fields, sometimes some fields are not well covered; it has happened many times that a translation provided by Routledge or Collazo or Robbs (I do have them all; and about 157 dictionaries and glossaries) is not used by any single Spanish speaker savvy in that specialized area. Even though, they are good dictionaries. They have to be used being critical.
Besides all of them are expensive.

Nevertheless, I would recommend you to buy, little by little, all the dictionaries recommended by my colleagues.

Kind regards

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Maria Castro[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Best spanish-english technical dicitonary?

Advanced search

Translation news

PerfectIt consistency checker
Faster Checking, Greater Accuracy

PerfectIt helps deliver error-free documents. It improves consistency, ensures quality and helps to enforce style guides. It’s a powerful tool for pro users, and comes with the assurance of a 30-day money back guarantee.

More info »
Want to earn more in your spare time? Monetize your knowledge!

Do you speak one or more foreign languages? Fluency in target language + willingness & ability to help people in everyday situations could earn you $45 / hour. Download “Quiick Angel” app & become a guardian angel today

More info »

All of
  • All of
  • Term search
  • Jobs