Mobile menu

Guide to financial issues
Thread poster: xxxIanW
xxxIanW
Local time: 12:56
German to English
+ ...
Apr 18, 2003

I’m looking for a book which would explain the ins and outs of company formation, shares, balance sheets and general financial activity in order to give me a better frame of reference when translating annual reports and suchlike. I have a business background – a degree in International Marketing, which is effectively an extensive business degree with a focus on marketing – but would like to build on my knowledge of finance to be able to take on more challenging and far-reaching translations in the future. Such a book would ideally be in English (preferably with a European rather than US outlook). If anyone is willing to share the benefit of their experience with me, I’d be most grateful. Thanks, Ian.

Direct link Reply with quote

Alison Schwitzgebel
France
Member (2002)
German to English
+ ...
It depends on what country you are talking about..... Apr 18, 2003

Quote:

On 2003-04-18 15:32, ianwinick wrote:

I’m looking for a book which would explain the ins and outs of company formation, shares, balance sheets and general financial activity in order to give me a better frame of reference when translating annual reports and suchlike. I have a business background – a degree in International Marketing, which is effectively an extensive business degree with a focus on marketing – but would like to build on my knowledge of finance to be able to take on more challenging and far-reaching translations in the future. Such a book would ideally be in English (preferably with a European rather than US outlook). If anyone is willing to share the benefit of their experience with me, I’d be most grateful. Thanks, Ian.

I see you translate from both French and German into English, so I imagine you are looking for information on company formations in both France and Germany. The processes involved differ from country to country, and I can\'t help you with the French side (but I\'m sure some other colleagues can), however I can give you some pointers for German finance issues.

In Germany, company law starts with the Handelsgesetzbuch (German Commercial Code). There is a dual language edition available called \"Deutsches Bilanzrecht\" by Brooks and Mertin. The translation is not 100% in places, but it will certainly give you an idea of the process involved. For understanding general business administration in Germany, you can\'t beat Wöhe\'s \"Einführung in die allgemeine Betriebswirtschaftslehre\". This also has extensive chapters on accounting and financial reporting. The book itself is quite a hefty tome - but pretty much everything is in there.

As for monolingual books on finance and accounting, I like the Teach Yourself series books on Basic Accouting and Finance for Non-Financial Managers. I also like \"Fundamentals of the Stock Market\" and \"Fundamentals of the Bond Market\" as an introduction to these two areas.

The key problem that you will have is that there is no book (to my knowledge) available that deals (in English) with company formation and accounting etc. for German companies .

Hope that helps you some rather than confusing the issue .

Kind regards,

Alison

xxxIanW
German to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Alison Apr 18, 2003

Hi Alison - sorry, I should have mentioned the languages I translate from. However, being based in Germany, practically all the work of this nature that I do is from German, so you\'ve pretty much answered my question in full. I\'ll look into all the options you have mentioned. Thanks for your help! Ian

Williamson  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 11:56
Flemish to English
+ ...
Principles of Corporate Finance Apr 19, 2003

\"Principles of Corporate Finance\" by Brealey/Meyers is a book used at many business schools, which gives you a general synopsis of finance with a slight American flavour.

Alison Schwitzgebel
France
Member (2002)
German to English
+ ...
Hey Williamson - we have the same library :-) Apr 19, 2003

But I thought that \"Principles of Corporate Finance\" (although it is excellent) is not exactly beginners\' material.

Alison

xxxIanW
German to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Decisions, decisions Apr 19, 2003

Hi Alison,

I\'ve decided to go for \"Principles of Corporate Finance\" as I reckon (having read various online reviews) that it\'s probably the best option for me.

I wasn\'t actually looking for beginners\' material - it\'s just that there are some aspects of finance which I have studied extensively and others which I am rather hazy about, so I was looking for a wide frame of reference to help clear away all the grey areas. I don\'t think that it will be any more difficult to wade through than my Sloman\'s Economics, but if it is too heavy-going, I\'ll probably order the \"Teach Yourself\" titles you mention. As you\'ll probably agree, you can never have too many books ...

Thanks to yourself and Williamson for your help!

Ian

Williamson  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 11:56
Flemish to English
+ ...
Standard handbooks at any biz.school Apr 20, 2003

Hi Allison,

I guess that some handbooks are standard regardless of the business-course you attend.

Would not be too surprise if for statistics you had \"Statistics\" by Albrecht,Winston, Zappe or \"Ops Research\" by Zappe.

Who does not have \"Principles of Marketing\" by Kotler?

Very voluminous books. If you want to go through them, you need \"time\": a luxury item for a freelancer translator.

Anil Gidwani  Identity Verified
India
Local time: 16:26
German to English
+ ...
"Principles of finance" now available with CD Oct 7, 2004

Hello everyone:

This thread has been very useful to me in confirming purchase of the text "Principles of Finance"! Thanks to all the comments, I am able to make the informed decision to go ahead and purchase the text.

To add a couple of comments:

a) The book now comes with a CD. Talk about our profession becoming the most mobile profession in the world! No more lugging around heavy dictionaries on that trip to Hawaii for that emergency addition to the last document translated for your favorite client.

b) It is also available as a book viewable online and downloadable as an e-book, though you have to register to do so.

Thanks to everyone, and let's enjoy!

Anil Gidwani

Sergei Tumanov  Identity Verified
Local time: 13:56
English to Russian
+ ...
great book! Oct 13, 2004

"Business accounting"
Frank Wood
5-th edition Pitman

ABC of accounting. Explanations start from zero level and lead the reader till the depths of a corporate financial analysis.

[Edited at 2004-10-13 20:28]

Xuan Lin
Canada
Local time: 06:56
English to Chinese
A nice website! Nov 20, 2004

Have a look at this websit, maybe it will be helpful!
http://www.imf.org/external/np/term/index.asp

For the accounting area, I agree Sergei Tumanov.
Business Accounting is a very good book for introduction into accounting subject.

For other accounting,finance related subjects, have a look at the following websites:

http://www.accountingstudents.com/
http://www.utexas.edu/lecture/acc/
http://www.cranfield.ac.uk/cils/library/subjects/finance.htm
http://www.strictlybusinesssites.com/acct.htm
http://www.strictlybusinesssites.com/acct.htm
http://www.accountingeducation.com/

Most of the above websites are for UK or Europe, some of them are USA-based! In accounting and finance subjects, taxation,law related topics, financial accounting regulations and stocks & shares investment regulations are different between countries. But basic accounting concepts,management accouting, corporate finance,investments etc are similar, or the same. You can make references on the websites in other countries as well.

If you need more information about these topics, let me know.I have lots of resources about it!

I finished my BA(Hons)degree in Accounting and Finance from University of Essex, UK. Now I am a freelance translator between English and Chinese.

Xuan Lin
globalchinesetranslation@yahoo.ca

Global Chinese Translation
Translating Business Opportunities for Clients!
http://www.geocities.com/globalchinesetranslation/

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Maria Castro[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Guide to financial issues

Advanced search

Translation news

Déjà Vu X3
Try it, Love it

Find out why Déjà Vu is today the most flexible, customizable and user-friendly tool on the market. See the brand new features in action: *Completely redesigned user interface *Live Preview *Inline spell checking *Inline

More info »
memoQ translator pro
Kilgray's memoQ is the world's fastest developing integrated localization & translation environment rendering you more productive and efficient.

With our advanced file filters, unlimited language and advanced file support, memoQ translator pro has been designed for translators and reviewers who work on their own, with other translators or in team-based translation projects.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs