scanned dictionaries in the google bookshelf
Thread poster: Noe Tessmann
Noe Tessmann  Identity Verified
Local time: 18:53
English to German
+ ...
May 7, 2008

Dear colleagues,

there quite some scanned dictionaries at Google books. I wanted to ask if you're using those as a ressource for translation. Will there be more in the future? Is the limited preview sufficient for a terminology search? What do you think about that?

Kind regards

Noe

[Edited at 2008-05-07 18:46]

Direct link Reply with quote

Claudia Alvis  Identity Verified
Peru
Local time: 11:53
Partial member
Spanish
+ ...
Absolutely! May 7, 2008

I've been using the Routledge "online" for weeks. The library seems to be expanding.

Luca Tutino  Identity Verified
Italy
Member (2002)
English to Italian
+ ...
Where? May 7, 2008

Noe Tessmann wrote:
there quite some scanned dictionaries at Google books.

I clicked on "search books" with "dictionary" or "routledge", and then on a "Resources: Dictionaries" link, but I only found limited previews. Useful but no usable. Am I missing something?

Noe Tessmann  Identity Verified
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
depends on the language May 7, 2008

Hello Luca,

you're right. I tried with "dizionario" and there's not a lot coming up. For English-German it seems to be better. Also limited previews can sometimes help.

Here are some: http://books.google.be/books?client=firefox-a&um=1&lr=&hl=de&as_brr=3&q=italian%20dictionary&btnG=Nach%20Büchern%20suchen

Regards

Noe

[Edited at 2008-05-07 19:20]

Taylor Kirk  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 11:53
Portuguese to English
+ ...
Useful! May 7, 2008

I do use these but you just have to check the publication date sometimes. There are plenty of reference materials from literally decades ago that have some outdated terms in them.

[Edited at 2008-05-07 21:20]

Kathryn Litherland  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 12:53
Member (2007)
Spanish to English
+ ...
routledge technical May 8, 2008

I've gotten a great deal of help out of the Routledge Spanish Technical Dictionary. It's 10 years old, so not horribly out of date. Sometimes the page you want is "not available" (and I've also bumped up against the limit on the number of times you can search it in a session!) but the same general term is often used in several different word combinations, so checking out all the various combinations will help orient you to the overall gist of the term.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Maria Castro[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

scanned dictionaries in the google bookshelf

Advanced search

SDL Trados Studio 2017 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 250,000 translators.

SDL Trados Studio 2017 helps translators increase translation productivity whilst ensuring quality. Combining translation memory, terminology management and machine translation in one simple and easy-to-use environment.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs