Does anyone use Star as a tool?
Thread poster: mystymy
mystymy
mystymy
Local time: 03:24
Spanish to English
+ ...
May 20, 2008

A really good potential client uses Star and would like me to begin using it. I am looking into free demos and Star's website.

We are working out the details about who buys the tool for me and gets me trained. If the client agrees to this, I will gladly start with Star, if not then I may have to rethink this.

Does anyone know anything about Star? I'm used to Trados and Wordfast. I've been thinking about across systems, but after this request I'm begining to wonder
... See more
A really good potential client uses Star and would like me to begin using it. I am looking into free demos and Star's website.

We are working out the details about who buys the tool for me and gets me trained. If the client agrees to this, I will gladly start with Star, if not then I may have to rethink this.

Does anyone know anything about Star? I'm used to Trados and Wordfast. I've been thinking about across systems, but after this request I'm begining to wonder.
Collapse

Margreet Logmans (X)
Margreet Logmans (X)  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 09:24
English to Dutch
+ ...
You mean Star Transit? May 20, 2008

There's a whole forum dedicated to Star Transit.
I use both Star and Trados, whatever the client wants.
They both have their advantages and disadvantages.
Check out the forum.

http://www.proz.com/forum/transit_support-188.html

mystymy
mystymy
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
thank you May 20, 2008

Thank you, I will check the forum.

Kevin Lossner
Kevin Lossner  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 08:24
German to English
+ ...
Since you are a Trados user... May 20, 2008

... you might look up the information on doing Star Transit projects as XML with Tag Editor. This may be less cumbersome than working with the PE version.

Clarisa Moraña
Clarisa Moraña  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 02:24
Member (2002)
English to Spanish
+ ...
I do May 21, 2008

One of my clients uses Star Transit on a regular basis. Thus, I downloaded the free version, which allows me to work with projects sent by my client.

I LOVE IT! It works much more better than Trados, and you don't have to upgrade it each year as Trados (In my opinion, each time trados releases an upgrade, it realease a sort of demo version, full of bugs).

Is it difficult to use it? A little bit. But if you take your time to download and watch the tutorial video of Star
... See more
One of my clients uses Star Transit on a regular basis. Thus, I downloaded the free version, which allows me to work with projects sent by my client.

I LOVE IT! It works much more better than Trados, and you don't have to upgrade it each year as Trados (In my opinion, each time trados releases an upgrade, it realease a sort of demo version, full of bugs).

Is it difficult to use it? A little bit. But if you take your time to download and watch the tutorial video of Star Transit, (and take note of the commands), you'll soon learn to use it.

I consider that Start Transit has features unmatched by SDL, Trados or whatever be the name.

Kind regards

Clarisa Moraña
Collapse

Wolfgang Jörissen
Wolfgang Jörissen  Identity Verified
Belize
Dutch to German
+ ...
Every tool has its pros and cons May 21, 2008

No doubt Star Transit has some quite sophisticated features, and what Clarisa says is certainly true. However, the disadvantage is a certain lack of compatibility with other CAT tools. I guess you can say: if you buy Transit, you will only serve Transit (or private) clients with it. The other way round, this is easier, as Kevin already explained. Any CAT tool that processes XML files (and most of them do) will be able to process Star transit projects.

Clarisa Moraña
Clarisa Moraña  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 02:24
Member (2002)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Yes... but May 21, 2008

Wolfgang Jörissen wrote:

No doubt Star Transit has some quite sophisticated features, and what Clarisa says is certainly true. However, the disadvantage is a certain lack of compatibility with other CAT tools. I guess you can say: if you buy Transit, you will only serve Transit (or private) clients with it. The other way round, this is easier, as Kevin already explained. Any CAT tool that processes XML files (and most of them do) will be able to process Star transit projects.

Remember that it is not necessary to buy the full Transit version if the client sends the prepared files. Downloading the lite version is enough.

The complete version of Transit, nevertheless, allows you to export translation memories that can be imported into Trados. The free version only allows you to export your work for your client.

Kind regards

Clarisa

mystymy
mystymy
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
hmm...something to think about May 21, 2008

Everything will be in Star transit ..the client's entire company works with the Star system in some capacity. This is not a translation or localisation company.

But Trados or SDL/Trados is ALWAYS charging for upgrades, certification or something. Not dealing with that would be a nice change, that is why I'm more inclined to Wordfast, as I have not upgraded to the latest Trados.

I will check the demos and try to adapt to the system, hopefully the client will pay th
... See more
Everything will be in Star transit ..the client's entire company works with the Star system in some capacity. This is not a translation or localisation company.

But Trados or SDL/Trados is ALWAYS charging for upgrades, certification or something. Not dealing with that would be a nice change, that is why I'm more inclined to Wordfast, as I have not upgraded to the latest Trados.

I will check the demos and try to adapt to the system, hopefully the client will pay the cost. But ...
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Does anyone use Star as a tool?

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »