Direct link Reply with quote

Henry Hinds  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 13:43
English to Spanish
+ ...
Two May 29, 2008

Robb, the old standby.

Javier Becerra's dictionary for Mexican terms, especially civil law. For Mexican criminal law you'll have to ask me.

I don't have them with me now, but if you write in a couple of days I can give you full data.

There are many more, of course, but I have found those two to be valuable.

Edward Potter  Identity Verified
Local time: 21:43
Member (2003)
Spanish to English
+ ...
ES - EN legal dictionaries May 29, 2008

Hi Henry.

My personal favorite is Diccionario de Términos Jurídicos by Enrique Alcaraz Varó and Brian Hughes. I sometimes use Spanish-English Dictionary of Law and Business by Thomas L. West III, which is excellent when it contains the term I am looking for - I really really really (and many more reallys) wish he would increase the number of entries because West is very thorough in what he does have.

I do have a question: why are so few of these available on CD or online?

Member (2005)
Portuguese to Spanish
+ ...
more May 30, 2008

EMILIO GERMAN MUÑIZ DE CASTRO, New dictionary of law and international relations (Ed. La Ley, Madrid 2003)
Antonio RAMIREZ, Diccionario jurídico (español-inglés, inglés-español), Ed. Gestión, Barcelona 2003.
Regards, Peixe

Mariano M. Vitetta  Identity Verified
Local time: 16:43
Member (2014)
English to Spanish
+ ...
My suggestions May 30, 2008

Debonis, S., Glosario para la empresa — Terminología contable, tributaria y de administración, inglés-español/español-inglés, La Ley, Buenos Aires, Argentina, 2002.

Mazzucco, P. y A. H. Maranghello, Diccionario Bilingüe de Terminología Jurídica — inglés-castellano/castellano-inglés, cuarta edición, Ediciones del Candil, Buenos Aires, Argentina, 2004.

Those are very good dictionaries, but no dictionary has the last word in law-related translations: you always need to get deeper and do monolingual research. Having said that, the following brand-new books may prove to be an excellent resource:

Mariotto, L. B., Traducciones de Contratos, inglés-español/español-inglés, Tomos I y II, Buenos Aires, Argentina.

English to Hungarian
+ ...
just a tip Jun 1, 2008

I don't do Spanish to English and try to avoid legal work anyway... but I will say that the EU databases are worth a look.
There is the DGT-TM translation memory, the Europarl corpus, the IATE terminology resource and a couple of minor sources. The translation memory should cover a lot of areas and IATE is supposed to be reliable. They won't work for very specialized areas but most of the general stuff should be in there somewhere.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Maria Castro[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Spanish-English legal dictionary

Advanced search

Translation news

PerfectIt consistency checker
Faster Checking, Greater Accuracy

PerfectIt helps deliver error-free documents. It improves consistency, ensures quality and helps to enforce style guides. It’s a powerful tool for pro users, and comes with the assurance of a 30-day money back guarantee.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »

All of
  • All of
  • Term search
  • Jobs