Webpage with handy translator's gadgets
Thread poster: Therrien

Therrien  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 11:47
English to French
+ ...
Jun 13, 2008

I've always pouted at the additional conversions I have to calculate when translating
or doing the administrative actions around that. From measurements to locating the time zones of my contacts. I was always ending up googling the tools I needed at every use.

I've resolved this, and want to share my win.

In building my website for my translation group I filled a special "tools" page with all the handy-jimdandy gadgets I could paste the html into, so that one can consult a single page for the lot of useful tools. Available for everyone who'd want to use it as well. It is devoid of aesthetics and editing at this moment but sure works.

If you'd know of any additional gadgets, please mention and it will be chucked in there!

http://www.linguistic-services.ws/tools

Best Regards:

Alexandre Therrien

Direct link Reply with quote

S_Angel  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 19:47
German to Italian
+ ...
Wow Jun 14, 2008

That looks really great, I'm bookmarking it immediately!

FarkasAndras
Local time: 19:47
English to Hungarian
+ ...
not bad Jun 14, 2008

Looks useful for some people/situations.

Note that basically all conversions and basic calculations are handled by google. You just type your query into the search box in roughly the right format and google retrieves the result instead of a webpage. If you have Google toolbar or a google search box in your browser it's always available without going to a specific page first.
Example searches: "1 m in ft", "300 usd in indonesian money", "3.5 days in seconds", "6 cubic metres in gallons" "6+(7-4)*752" etc. Mathematical calculations are even done on the fly so you don't even have to press enter and leave the page you're on.

Therrien  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 11:47
English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Didn't know that Jun 14, 2008

That's quite a nice trick, I did not know that.

Best:

Alex

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Maria Castro[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Webpage with handy translator's gadgets

Advanced search

Translation news

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
memoQ translator pro
Kilgray's memoQ is the world's fastest developing integrated localization & translation environment rendering you more productive and efficient.

With our advanced file filters, unlimited language and advanced file support, memoQ translator pro has been designed for translators and reviewers who work on their own, with other translators or in team-based translation projects.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs