Mobile menu

Student researching translation ethics seeks info on authorship, copyright, etc.
Thread poster: Natalia Millman

Natalia Millman
Local time: 17:43
English to Russian
+ ...
May 10, 2003

Hi,

I am an MSc student in Translation at Imperial College and I am writing a dissertation on the Translation Ethics.

I know that this issue has no limits and at the moment I am not sure what to concentrate on exactly.

However, I am particulary interested in authorship, copyright, the relation between the translator and the client and the source text.

I would appreciate if you share your ideas, as we, translators, always experience ethical problems at some point. I would welcome any suggestions, useful liks or information on resources.

Thanks a lot,

Natalia

Direct link Reply with quote

Kevin Fulton
United States
Local time: 13:43
German to English
Ethical issues May 10, 2003

Although it doesn\'t touch on the issues you raised in your inquiry, our local newsletter has an article this month on ethics for translators. And, ethically, I should disclose that I\'m the article\'s author.

http://www.mitinweb.org

click on \"Newsletter.\"

Kevin

Jana Teteris  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Latvian to English
+ ...
Code of Conduct May 10, 2003

You may find it useful to have a look at the Institute of Linguists\' Code of Conduct.

http://www.iol.org.uk/membership/IoL-Code-of-Conduct.rtf

[ This Message was edited by: jteteris on 2003-05-10 18:42]

Vladimir Dubisskiy  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 12:43
English to Russian
+ ...
it's Translator's Ethics May 10, 2003

not \'translation\', that what i wanted to note

Henry Dotterer
SITE FOUNDER
Our take... May 10, 2003

This site\'s professional guidelines were distilled by site staff and moderators from the codes of conduct of dozens of associations around the world:

Professional Guidelines

Soonthon LUPKITARO(Ph.D.)  Identity Verified
Thailand
Local time: 00:43
Partial member (2004)
English to Thai
+ ...
Ethics in translations May 11, 2003

ham lecturing on Translation at a university and I am writing an article on the Translation Ethics as well.

I know that this issue has no limits and at the moment I am not sure what to concentrate on exactly.

I think that bad things are continously happening by using Internet and computers.

Before discussing about ethics, I understand that everybody need to return to their abuse of computing technology.

Cheating message, modified translation, idiomatic change among different cuntural background and others are destroying ethics; I say from an Oriental country where Western code of practice compulsively arrange the golbal languare orderliness.

Why not discuss cultural background before discussing about translatorsf moral standards?

Authoring rights cannot be discussed unless all linguistic features are reflected.

IMHO

Soonthon L.

Natalia Millman
English to Russian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Sorry Vladimir May 11, 2003

I do appologise, it is Translator\'s Ethics. You are right.

Thanks for all your replies.

xxxMarc P  Identity Verified
Local time: 18:43
German to English
+ ...
ProZ' professional guidelines May 12, 2003

Quote:

This site\'s professional guidelines were distilled by site staff and moderators from the codes of conduct of dozens of associations around the world

Excellent. I have only glanced at the briefly, but I think most people will be able to accept those, and also the mission statement.

Are they new? They weren\'t there last time I checked. Still, new or not, it would be useful if moderators could raise awareness of them, and for all parties to refer to them when disagreements arise over what is \"professional behaviour\", etc.

Marc

Henry Dotterer
SITE FOUNDER
Guidelines and Mission Statement May 12, 2003

[quote]

On 2003-05-12 13:03, MarcPrior wrote:

Quote:

This site\'s professional guidelines were distilled by site staff and moderators from the codes of conduct of dozens of associations around the world

Excellent. I have only glanced at the briefly, but I think most people will be able to accept those, and also the mission statement.

Are they new? They weren\'t there last time I checked. Still, new or not, it would be useful if moderators could raise awareness of them, and for all parties to refer to them when disagreements arise over what is \"professional behaviour\", etc.

---------

No, the Mission Statement has always been on the site. The Guidelines were added about six months ago. The Mission Statement will probably remain buried, where those who really want to can find it. But the Guidelines may be referred to more frequently (but never mandated) as we move forward in the ongoing quality campaign.

Dyran Altenburg  Identity Verified
United States
English to Spanish
+ ...
Professional Practices for Language Service Providers May 12, 2003

Quote:

On 2003-05-12 14:46, Henry wrote:

But the Guidelines may be referred to more frequently (but never mandated) as we move forward in the ongoing quality campaign.

Optional guidelines?

Isn\'t that an invitation to ignore them?

Don\'t get me wrong. Guidelines can be as loose or stringent as necessary (usually a simple set of common-sense rules is all that is needed), but isn\'t the whole point of having them that people be required to abide by them?

I\'m curious about this because in some ways rule compliance is already enforced in the forums (Etiquette).

[ This Message was edited by: Dyran on 2003-05-13 00:09]

Henry Dotterer
SITE FOUNDER
Its about choice May 14, 2003

As you will have noticed by now, Dyran, we generally give people a choice. But that does not make things worthless. (Of course, voluntary acceptance is actually more significant than passive compliance.)

For example, we might give people a way to register their acceptace of the guidelines. Then, when searching for an agency or a freelancer, another person might choose to use acceptance of the Guidelines as a search criterion.

DGK T-I  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2003)
Georgian to English
+ ...
Guidelines May 16, 2003

It certainly could be useful to have a good set of guidelines online, that clients could be given a reference to refer to. Has consideration been given to how far this can be made to educate clients & protect freelancers, as well as promote respectability on the part of freelances?

(I appreciate that some elements such as not changing agreed terms, other than by mutual agreement, do both of these.)

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Maria Castro[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Student researching translation ethics seeks info on authorship, copyright, etc.

Advanced search

Translation news

SDL MultiTerm 2017
Guarantee a unified, consistent and high-quality translation with terminology software by the industry leaders.

SDL MultiTerm 2017 allows translators to create one central location to store and manage multilingual terminology, and with SDL MultiTerm Extract 2017 you can automatically create term lists from your existing documentation to save time.

More info »
PerfectIt consistency checker
Faster Checking, Greater Accuracy

PerfectIt helps deliver error-free documents. It improves consistency, ensures quality and helps to enforce style guides. It’s a powerful tool for pro users, and comes with the assurance of a 30-day money back guarantee.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs