Looking for a Style Guide (FR) for computing
Thread poster: Sandra Sol Rodrigo (X)
Sandra Sol Rodrigo (X)
Sandra Sol Rodrigo (X)
Local time: 11:05
French to Spanish
+ ...
Jul 4, 2008

I need to translate a software from English or Spanish into French and I need a Style guide because I have some problems in translating thing like errors and expressions.

I got a style guide from the microsoft site but I keep on having problems with the espressions like "Please, contact with the technical service".

Thank you very much,
Sandra

Tobia P
Tobia P
English to Italian
Sun localization style guides Jul 5, 2008

Maybe you could also can try the
Sun localization style guides

Tobia

Sandra Sol Rodrigo (X)
Sandra Sol Rodrigo (X)
French to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Sun Style guide Jul 7, 2008

Thank you Tobia for your information. I think the Sun Style Guide will be very helpful

Marc Sejourné
Marc Sejourné  Identity Verified
Cambodia
Local time: 16:05
English to French
In memoriam
Microsoft TM Jul 7, 2008

On the same topic, I would like to know if it is possible to download a TM from Microsoft. I am translating from English to French, but this is a general question. Thanks in advance for your reply.

mariale125
mariale125
Local time: 04:05
English to Spanish
Glossary in excel format Jul 7, 2008

I don't know if you already know about this site or if it can help you both, I'll give you the link anyway, just in case. In the following link you can download an excel file containing Microsoft terminology in different languages.

http://www.microsoft.com/globaldev/tools/MILSGlossary.mspx

You can erase the introductory part and the columns with the la
... See more
I don't know if you already know about this site or if it can help you both, I'll give you the link anyway, just in case. In the following link you can download an excel file containing Microsoft terminology in different languages.

http://www.microsoft.com/globaldev/tools/MILSGlossary.mspx

You can erase the introductory part and the columns with the languages you don't need, then you will be able to create a glossary using Multiterm or create a TM just following the tips gven in this thread

http://www.proz.com/forum/sdl_trados_support/59306-creating_tm_by_aligning_excel_rows.html

HTH
Collapse

Sandra Sol Rodrigo (X)
Sandra Sol Rodrigo (X)
French to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
About de Microsoft glossary Jul 8, 2008

Hi!

this glossary from Microsoft is great! Thank you so much!

Just say that the French column is more complete than the Catalan one and the Spanish one.

Sandra

Marc Sejourné
Marc Sejourné  Identity Verified
Cambodia
Local time: 16:05
English to French
In memoriam
Brillant! Jul 8, 2008

These are the resources I could not retrieve. Thx a million Mariale.

Tobia P
Tobia P
English to Italian
Microsoft TMs Jul 8, 2008

if you have a TechNet or MSDN subscription, you can download the TMs for Microsoft products, see http://blogs.technet.com/microsoftterminologyforum/archive/2008/07/02/microsoft-glossary-and-terminology-database-access.aspx

The problem with the glossary list is that it does not specify which product(
... See more
if you have a TechNet or MSDN subscription, you can download the TMs for Microsoft products, see http://blogs.technet.com/microsoftterminologyforum/archive/2008/07/02/microsoft-glossary-and-terminology-database-access.aspx

The problem with the glossary list is that it does not specify which product(s) the translations apply to.
Collapse

mariale125
mariale125
Local time: 04:05
English to Spanish
Tobia, this is a very useful link Jul 9, 2008

Marc and Sandra, you're welcome!

Tobia, you make me remember that I downloaded the spanish guide style from the microsoft language portal a long time ago. I'd forgotten about it ... until now. I didn't know about the search tool, thanks for the tip. It is great, you just write a term, chose a language and you get the terminology related, its translation and definition.

Sandra, you can download the frenc
... See more
Marc and Sandra, you're welcome!

Tobia, you make me remember that I downloaded the spanish guide style from the microsoft language portal a long time ago. I'd forgotten about it ... until now. I didn't know about the search tool, thanks for the tip. It is great, you just write a term, chose a language and you get the terminology related, its translation and definition.

Sandra, you can download the french guide style. In chapter 3 you'll find grammar guidelines and in chapter 4 (Specific localization guidelines) you'll find the recommended expressions for error messages, for instances, and much more.

Right:
Impossible d'enregistrer le document.

Wrong:
Le document ne peut pas être enregistré.

Bye
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Looking for a Style Guide (FR) for computing

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »