Mobile menu

I have an excel file with 1000 rows to translate in Spanish
Thread poster: xxxrowtc2
xxxrowtc2
English
Jul 9, 2008

I need to translate an excel file with many rows from English in Spanish and other languages.The xls file have all these descriptions of the products in separate rows.
I need to make this job automatically (not copy+paste+translate for each row by hand) because will take a lot of time.
Anyone know a tool or a way to do that ?

Direct link Reply with quote

P Forgas  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 19:55
Portuguese to Spanish
+ ...
wordfast Jul 9, 2008

you can download it here: www.wordfast.net

George Hopkins
Local time: 00:55
Swedish to English
Trados program Jul 9, 2008

You can easily tanslate an Excel file using the Trados program for your language pair.
Do not open your Excel file.
Start Workbench, start TagEditor, go to Open, select "Excel" as file type, navigate to the directory where your file is, select it and click "Open".
That´s all.
After you are finished with translation (don´t forget to save your work by pressing ctrl+s from time to time because TagEditor does not have ANY file recovery function) you go to the "File" menu and choose "Save target as...", where you can save your file as xls, preferably under a different name than the source file.

Please bear in mind, that the opening of your file may take several minutes, even an hour or so, depending on how big your Excel file is. This is because the original Excel file is being "tagged", ie, written in xml-format.

Good luck

FarkasAndras
English to Hungarian
+ ...
huh? Jul 9, 2008

rowtc2 wrote:

I need to translate an excel file with many rows from English in Spanish and other languages.The xls file have all these descriptions of the products in separate rows.
I need to make this job automatically (not copy+paste+translate for each row by hand) because will take a lot of time.
Anyone know a tool or a way to do that ?

And the problem is...?

Ok, I'll elaborate: You can do this in any of 4 ways:

If you use a CAT tool, which you don't mention if you do:
1) Use your CAT tool to translate the file directly - if it can do that.
2) Copy the contents of the table into word, translate the word file and copy the cleaned document back to excel. This is supposing that your excel file contains text only, at least the parts to be translated; no functions and no goofy formatting. Just press ctrl+a to select all or select manually. Line breaks are conserved in word, adjacent cells become separated by tab. So make sure you don't delete any tabs or any line breaks or indeed add new ones, and only copy the relevant parts of the spreadsheet to keep it as simple as possible. When you're done, check to see that it didn't get thrown out of alignment with the original.

If you don't use a CAT tool:
3) Translate in excel. Overwrite cells or create a new spreadsheet as your heart desires.
4) Copy to Word etc.

TransAction
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Dutch
+ ...
Transit will do the job Jul 9, 2008

We use Transit as CAT.
Just import, translate and export, job done.
Works a lot nicer than tageditor.

eng2chi  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 06:55
English to Chinese
+ ...
yes, tageditor can do it Jul 9, 2008

yes, Tageditor can help you do it.

If the format of each row is simple enough, you may also consider exporting it into plain text like csv file, which may be easier to process in word.

But, you always need a CAT tool, so that you can make it semi-automatic ... Tageditor, wordfast, etc. all work for that purpose.

xxxrowtc2
English
TOPIC STARTER
Wordfast Jul 9, 2008

I have found also , OmegaT (is free)-not tested yet.

Wordfast: i have installed and i am learning to use translation. Is working fine,but still learn .
I copied 10 rows CTR+A , CTR+V in doc and run Wordfast.

I dont know hot to make job to run automatically for all 10 paragraphs (not click for each sentence).
I dont know how to export or save a new xls or csv file only with the new language results (translated text).

Any tips?
thanks.

[Edited at 2008-07-09 19:40]

Vito Smolej
Germany
Member (2004)
English to Slovenian
+ ...
OmegaT Jul 10, 2008

I have found also , OmegaT (is free)-not tested yet.

Once you have the sentence (i.e. the first occurence) translated, the repeats (i.e. identical copies) will be translated automatically.

P Forgas  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 19:55
Portuguese to Spanish
+ ...
wordfast manual Jul 10, 2008

Excel, PowerPoint & Access
This feature should be tested before use, because Wordfast may have difficulties initiating the necessary Ms-Office links.

1. Start Excel (or PowerPoint or Access), open the sheet (or presentation or table), place the cursor in the cell (or slide/shape or record/field) where the translation should begin (note: do not actually enter the cell/shape/field, as when you want to edit it - just position the cursor on it).
2. Go back to Ms-Word, start a Wordfast translation session on an empty Ms-Word document.

If you resume translation after having closed the translation session, re-open the last segment in the Ms-Word document and click the Next segment icon. This allows Wordfast to "know" from which slide, shape or record to resume working.

With Excel, you can translate only one sheet at a time. If you need to translate other sheets, start a new translation session on a new, empty document for each sheet.

xxxrowtc2
English
TOPIC STARTER
OmegaT and Wordfast manuals Jul 10, 2008

For TagEditor and Trados i cant find trial on their sites.

I am concentrating to OmegaT and Wordfast .
Are pretty difficult to use and the manuals are not detailed for newbies.
I am working with Excel and Word (not powerpoint or access).

If you know some some manuals with images or web addresses were to learn will be great.

[Edited at 2008-07-10 08:30]

xxxrowtc2
English
TOPIC STARTER
thanks Jul 13, 2008

Issue solved. Thanks to all , especially P Forgas.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Maria Castro[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

I have an excel file with 1000 rows to translate in Spanish

Advanced search

Translation news

Across v6.3
Translation Toolkit and Sales Potential under One Roof

Apart from features that enable you to translate more efficiently, the new Across Translator Edition v6.3 comprises your crossMarket membership. The new online network for Across users assists you in exploring new sales potential and generating revenue.

More info »
PerfectIt consistency checker
Faster Checking, Greater Accuracy

PerfectIt helps deliver error-free documents. It improves consistency, ensures quality and helps to enforce style guides. It’s a powerful tool for pro users, and comes with the assurance of a 30-day money back guarantee.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs