Mobile menu

Recommend me an English-French Technical Dictionary
Thread poster: ivaylo

ivaylo  Identity Verified
English to Bulgarian
+ ...
Jul 16, 2008

Hi to all,

Will you recommend me a comprehensive (large lexical database covering as much technical fields as possible) English-French TECHNICAL dictionary as well as French-English one?

Thank you!

Direct link Reply with quote

Sergei Leshchinsky  Identity Verified
Local time: 00:44
Member (2008)
English to Russian
+ ...
TERMIUM Jul 16, 2008

TERMIUM. I have an old version on CD-ROM for Win'95 and other dinosaur versions (it does not run under XP or even Win'98). Thou it is not my language pair, I use it as there are good comments, especially if you are not sure in some field...

Mafalda d'Orey de Faria  Identity Verified
Local time: 22:44
English to Portuguese
+ ...
GDT Jul 17, 2008

Have you tried the Grand Dictionnaire Terminologique?

I think it helps a lot.

Alison Jeffries-Thierry  Identity Verified
Local time: 08:44
French to English
Ernst / Termium Jul 17, 2008

Hi there ...

The classic tome is Ernst "Grande dictionnaire de la technique industrielle" (Brandstetter Verlag). There's a volume for each direction.

But I love Termium ( I know that some of the vocab is Canadian, but mostly it's standard, and the sources are provided. For professional translators it's a great investment.

I don't really understand why the French government doesn't do something similar, but the Canadians do a superb job with both Termium and (free but not nearly as comprehensive as Termium).

good luck!

Birthe Omark  Identity Verified
Local time: 23:44
Member (2006)
French to Danish
+ ...
Gorseau Jul 17, 2008

I have purchased:

Dictionnaire des Termes Techniques / Francais-Anglais / Anglais-Francais
Dictionnaire technique et scientifique (French-English only)

They are small and handy - may overlap each other - very simplistic word list.

I appreciate the other references and will have a look at them. But my concern is French Danish... If need be FrenchSwedish.

kind regards

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Maria Castro[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Recommend me an English-French Technical Dictionary

Advanced search

Translation news

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »
memoQ translator pro
Kilgray's memoQ is the world's fastest developing integrated localization & translation environment rendering you more productive and efficient.

With our advanced file filters, unlimited language and advanced file support, memoQ translator pro has been designed for translators and reviewers who work on their own, with other translators or in team-based translation projects.

More info »

All of
  • All of
  • Term search
  • Jobs