Mobile menu

OmegaWiki - A collaborative project to produce a free, multilingual resource in every language
Thread poster: Charlotte Blank
Charlotte Blank  Identity Verified
Local time: 19:17
Czech to German
+ ...
Jul 19, 2008

http://www.omegawiki.org/Meta:Main_Page

"A collaborative project to produce a free, multilingual resource in every language, with lexicological, terminological and thesaurus information."

Just type any word and you will (well, mostly) get lots of translations into other languages - but it's still far from being complete!

[Subject edited by staff or moderator 2008-07-19 20:42]

Direct link Reply with quote

Tomás Cano Binder, CT  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
It's far from being... Jul 19, 2008

It just contains one meaning for "screen" (protecting with a mesh), no meaning for "bar", no meanining for "rum", one meaning for "printer" (a graphic arts person), one meaning for "ounce" (a large cat in Central Asia), no "sirloin", no ".... Probably not very useful for the professional translator today...

Mahmoud Rayyan  Identity Verified
Egypt
Local time: 20:17
English to Arabic
Step by step Jul 19, 2008

I were told that Yahoo project was a start by some amteurs who work for free and now it is Yahoo one of the most famous search engines in the world, it is a good start anyway and I believe by hardworking it will be a great resource for translators
Thanks for the info I will try to examine this site asap.
Rayyan

xxxmediamatrix
Local time: 15:17
Spanish to English
+ ...
Déjà vu ... ? Jul 19, 2008

Why does this:

A collaborative project to produce a free, multilingual resource in every language, with lexicological, terminological and thesaurus information

remind me ... of this:
www.wikiwords.org
?

I guess this new project has at least one thing going for it: it apparently has not been kick-started with stuff from here:

http://www.proz.com/kudoz .

MediaMatrix

Tomás Cano Binder, CT  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Collaborative - Not necessarily good Jul 20, 2008

mahrayyan wrote:
I were told that Yahoo project was a start by some amteurs who work for free and now it is Yahoo one of the most famous search engines in the world...

And also a company in big financial trouble... Sorry, I just could not keep this just to myself. I apologise.

As for collaborative work. One of the last issues of ATA's Chronicle magazine contained an article about the chances that in 10 years time translators could be sharing their translation memories online and work collaboratively. Very honestly, the thought of that gives me the shakes, as I can be relatively happy about the contents I would share (if I could share it, as most of it belongs to my customers from the moment I translate a sentence), but... what quality will I get from using other people's work? Honestly, should I at all be inclined to share memories, I would only share them with people I know very well indeed and I trust, which are really very few people out there...

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Maria Castro[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

OmegaWiki - A collaborative project to produce a free, multilingual resource in every language

Advanced search

Translation news

SDL Trados Studio 2017 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 250,000 translators.

SDL Trados Studio 2017 helps translators increase translation productivity whilst ensuring quality. Combining translation memory, terminology management and machine translation in one simple and easy-to-use environment.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs