Thread poster: Susan Welsh

Susan Welsh  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 22:57
Member (2008)
Russian to English
+ ...
Aug 6, 2008

What do Russian native speakers consider the best Russian dictionary nowadays? I use Ожегов online, but would like to invest in a paper (!) dictionary, and Ozhegov seems a bit old.

Also for Russian-English and English-Russian dictionaries--is there a modern favorite? My old Smirnitsky is getting worn out. Somehow, the type seems to have gotten smaller over the years.

I like dictionaries where the entries are nice and bold, the type size is reasonably large, and where there are those "thumb tabs" (I don't know what they're called) so you can find the letter of the alphabet quickly.

(I searched the Forums, but am having technical trouble there, and so far have only gotten entries from 5-6 years ago. ProZ staff is trying to figure this out for me.)

Thanks in advance,
Susan

Direct link Reply with quote

Paul Adie  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Spanish to English
+ ...
Ozhegov and Shvedova Aug 6, 2008

Good afternoon!

I have the 2000 edition of Ozhegov and Shvedova, bought it very cheap in Russia and has always come in useful. About Russian-English dictionaries, I mainly use the installed version of Lingvo 12 and multitran.ru. I haven't used my Russian Oxford dictionary since leaving university...Just in case you can't get to Russia, take a look at ozon.ru. I've ordered books from there quite a few times now, but you have to do it well in advance as it can take up to 6 weeks to the UK, most likely longer to the US.

Good luck!

Paul

MGL  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 04:57
Russian to English
Well, I'm no native speaker Aug 6, 2008

But many of the native Russians I've spoken with about dictionaries hold the Dal dictionary in high regard. I'm interested to see what our Russian colleagues on Proz will say.

In terms of ER basic, non-tech dictionaries, I still really like my old beat up Katzner (paperback and no thumb tabs, but all around a solid dictionary).

That said, I now rarely pull out the "paper dictionaries" - I use mostly Lingvo on my computer, sometimes multitran online, and I'm always happy when Wikipedia has both a Russian and an English entry for a term I'm researching.

Good luck on your dictionary quest!

esperantisto  Identity Verified
Local time: 05:57
Member (2006)
English to Russian
+ ...
Susan, what do you need it for? Aug 6, 2008

For translation:
ABBYY Lingvo;
multitran.ru
Wikipedia
and Internet

As for explanatory ones, there are also Ushakov, Yefremova (probably, that the most up-to-date, included into the Lingvo package). And the Bol'shaya Sovetskaya Entsiklopediya (right, not a dictionary, right, not really modern, but of much help). Dal' is mainly for lovers of language antiques, and it's, possibly, the most comprehensive as for different dialects.

As for those “thumbs tabs”, I haven't seen so far a dictionary printed in Russia/CIS with that little amenity.

If you really want to have a paper dictionary, I doubt, you'll find anything better than Ozhegov. You know, I see some dictionaries in the bookstores proudly saying “explanatory” on their front, but they are mostly small ones for schoolboys. It looks like making of explanatory dictionaries in Russia is somewhat in depression.

Member (2006)
English to Russian
+ ...
BTW, what's that Katzner? Aug 6, 2008

Haven't heard of it The (non-specialized) überdictionary for English-Russian is Galperin — three solid volumes (of my edition) that can dwarf Vojna i Mir by size.

MGL  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 04:57
Russian to English
Katzner Aug 6, 2008

esperantisto wrote:

Haven't heard of it The (non-specialized) überdictionary for English-Russian is Galperin — three solid volumes (of my edition) that can dwarf Vojna i Mir by size.

Here's a link:
http://www.amazon.com/English-Russian-Russian-English-Dictionary-Kenneth-Katzner/dp/0471017078/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1218032761&sr=8-1

United States
Member (2008)
Russian to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Paper dictionaries Aug 6, 2008

[quote]esperantisto wrote:

Susan, what do you need it for?[quote]

I knew somebody was going to ask me that. Doesn't anybody read books in armchairs anymore? (Never mind, I already know the answer; I have a teenage son.)

Sometimes I don't like to leap up from my comfy chair and run to the computer to look up a word, that's all.

On the subject, but "off topic" with respect to serious ProZ members, maybe you'll get a chuckle from this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4pyjRj3UMRM

Thanks to all,
Susan

Yana Bukharova  Identity Verified
Canada
English to Russian
+ ...
Multitran.ru Aug 6, 2008

I think the best dictionaries are:
Multitran.ru
ABBYY Lingvo
Internet
Wikipedia

I don't use paper dictionaries at all, I don't think they are very useful and effective in terms of time... I've made the glossary for multitran.ru myself (with my colleagues at work) and I do think it is the best technical and non-technical dictionary for translators now, because it is updated very often. But I'm native in Russian, maybe for you it is slightly different. Nevertheless, I think the same will be for you.

I hope, my answer was useful.

Best regards,
Yana

[Edited at 2008-08-06 18:08]

[Edited at 2008-08-06 18:08]

Member (2006)
English to Russian
+ ...
An explanatory dictionary as armchair reading? Aug 7, 2008

I'd say, it's a bit unusual Then, I think, it's Yefremova:
http://www.bookline.ru/book2653304.htm
(sorry, have no idea if it's available at any location near you).

United States
Member (2008)
Russian to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Armchairs Aug 7, 2008

esperantisto wrote:

An explanatory dictionary as armchair reading?

I'd say, it's a bit unusual

No, no, esperantisto! I don't READ the dictionary. I read a BOOK, and use the dictionary to look up words I don't understand.

--a post from the world of age 50 and over

Alexandra Goldburt
Local time: 19:57
English to Russian
+ ...
The Oxford Russian-English Dictionary Aug 9, 2008

When Multitran is not working (it was not working a few days ago, but it is fine today), I used The Oxford Russian-English Dictionary by Marcus Wheeler. My edition is rather old (1984), and I'm sure newer editions are available.

Not a perfect dictionary, but good enough.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Maria Castro[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Russian and Russian-English dictionaries

Advanced search

PerfectIt consistency checker
Faster Checking, Greater Accuracy

PerfectIt helps deliver error-free documents. It improves consistency, ensures quality and helps to enforce style guides. It’s a powerful tool for pro users, and comes with the assurance of a 30-day money back guarantee.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs