Mobile menu

Using gmail TAGs to manage unpaid bills
Thread poster: Dallas Cao
Dallas Cao
Local time: 17:38
English to Chinese
+ ...
Aug 7, 2008

What do you use to keep record of the unpaid jobs, Translation Office 3000 or an excel sheet? I tried them both and found myself a very bad accountant. Quite often I get more payments that what is recorded in my balance as I always forget to enter one or two jobs in the sheet.

Well, if all you need is just to keep track of the unpaid tasks, gmail tag is quite a offhand solution. Just create a tag named "unpaid". After finishing or invoicing a job, mark the email thread "unpaid" then you will be able to find it in the "unpaid" folder. When you receive a payment, go to the related thread and delete the "unpaid" tag.

One advantage of this solution is that you do not have to copy any job related information (client name, email address, time) into a form. Everything is readily there in the email thread. When you want to write an email enquiry, you do not need to switch between your email window and other application and do the copy & paste stuff.

I guess you can do the same trick with all other email system too by creating an "unpaid" folder. But gmail tagging really makes it easier. In gmail, you do not need to move or copy an email to the folder. You just need to apply the tag and then it is there.

[Edited at 2008-08-07 15:09]

Direct link Reply with quote

Chun Un  Identity Verified
Member (2007)
English to Chinese
+ ...
Very good indeed Aug 7, 2008

I already use the tagging system (and 'star') to sort my email (gmail).

Sushan Harshe
Local time: 15:08
English to Hindi
+ ...
nice; really goooood Aug 7, 2008

Though I use stars for IMP mails, and labels for clients mails; I never could imagine to creat such a label for such a task; God is great, Goooooogle is really grt & u? u r really suppppr great.

Hepburn  Identity Verified
Local time: 11:38
English to French
+ ...
Simplest idea ideed Aug 7, 2008

Many thanks for that clever and simple idea. I already use a handful of tags, amongst others "invoice": that is so I know which attachments are invoices if I need to refer to one of them. But "unpaid invoices" is definitely a + I had never thought of.
Instead, I have a file on my desktop, named "pending invoices", but this is much simpler and will keep the clutter down on my desktop.

Keep the think tank going...

M. Anna Kańduła  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 10:38
English to Polish
+ ...
Colours Aug 7, 2008

I do not log in into Gmail to check emails, as I use an email end client, which checks emails for me. There I marked those "to do" with red colour, and finished projects go to their respective folders.

As for unpaid invoices - I keep a OO Calc with all my income there and unpaid invoices are marked grey, while paid are marked black. It works fine for me

Jason Young  Identity Verified
Local time: 17:38
Member (2008)
English to Chinese
+ ...
all's good Aug 10, 2008

if it works for you.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Maria Castro[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Using gmail TAGs to manage unpaid bills

Advanced search

Translation news

SDL Trados Studio 2015 Freelance
The industry-leading translation software used by over 200,000 translators.

SDL Trados Studio helps translators increase translation productivity whilst ensuring quality. Combining translation memory, terminology management and machine translation in one simple and easy-to-use environment.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »

All of
  • All of
  • Term search
  • Jobs