Heartsome Review
Thread poster: thevettergroup
thevettergroup
thevettergroup
Local time: 22:33
English
+ ...
Aug 19, 2008

I posted another thread on WordFast, and it is something we are pursuing. However, we also came across Heartsome and it looks promising. It works on Linux, Windows and Mac, and the translation memory can be hosted on a Linux server for sharing with Freelancers. I would be interested in hearing from those who have used the program, maybe even comparing it to WordFast.

Thank you in advance.

M. Anna Kańduła
M. Anna Kańduła  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 03:33
English to Polish
A user Aug 19, 2008

I cannot compare it to Wordfast, as I have never used it, but I work on Xliff Editor every day for typical projects.

IMHO it's a very good program. The only cases I use something else is a project, consisting of many, many files - as creating a multi-file project is time consuming and too annoying (each file has to be added separately and setting for each file too - too much clicking). Beside that - any other project is done with it. I can create as many TM databases as I want, choo
... See more
I cannot compare it to Wordfast, as I have never used it, but I work on Xliff Editor every day for typical projects.

IMHO it's a very good program. The only cases I use something else is a project, consisting of many, many files - as creating a multi-file project is time consuming and too annoying (each file has to be added separately and setting for each file too - too much clicking). Beside that - any other project is done with it. I can create as many TM databases as I want, choose to add nor not add a project to be added to a database.

I probably don't use all functions offered by this software, but it answers my needs

What worries me is the fact that main programmer left the project some time ago and it's not being developped any longer :| CAT technology is going forward, this software - not really.

Anni
Collapse

Andrzej Kaznowski
Andrzej Kaznowski  Identity Verified
Poland
Local time: 04:33
Polish to English
+ ...
XLIFF editors Aug 19, 2008

Hi,

XLIFF software is NOT dead. The former lead programmer of Heartsome has his own company called, Maxprograms, which has released an extremely good XLIFF editor, which I use in my company. It has moved significantly on from Heartsome's editor and now offers a huge range of new features compared with the older software. Search for "Swordfish translation editor" in Google and you can get more information.

There is also an active community-led localisation group for Swo
... See more
Hi,

XLIFF software is NOT dead. The former lead programmer of Heartsome has his own company called, Maxprograms, which has released an extremely good XLIFF editor, which I use in my company. It has moved significantly on from Heartsome's editor and now offers a huge range of new features compared with the older software. Search for "Swordfish translation editor" in Google and you can get more information.

There is also an active community-led localisation group for Swordfish Translation Editor, which has already provided localisations of Swordfish in a number of languages. Swordfish Translation Editor works on Windows, Linux and Mac very well - I personally use it in LInux and Windows.

I don't want to blow Maxprograms trumpet too much - their web site gives all the information needed to make a decision - but I can thoroughly recommend Swordfish Translation Editor to all translators!

Andrzej Kaznowski
Collapse

Ian Wood
Ian Wood  Identity Verified
Japan
Local time: 11:33
Japanese to English
+ ...
Swordfish and Heartsome the same thing? Sep 5, 2008

I am keen to switch from TRADOS on Windows to something on Linux, so I have been fiddling around with the various options out there. I am most impressed by Heartsome and Swordfish, but they seem like almost the same thing. Does anyone know what the story is here? Heartsome seems to have a few more features, but probably more than I need. Unfortunately I am having trouble with segmentation of Japanese in both of them, but it is not too bad. Can anyone recommend one over the other? I am leaning to... See more
I am keen to switch from TRADOS on Windows to something on Linux, so I have been fiddling around with the various options out there. I am most impressed by Heartsome and Swordfish, but they seem like almost the same thing. Does anyone know what the story is here? Heartsome seems to have a few more features, but probably more than I need. Unfortunately I am having trouble with segmentation of Japanese in both of them, but it is not too bad. Can anyone recommend one over the other? I am leaning toward Heartsome as it can open MS Word files without converting them in openoffice first.

[Edited at 2008-09-06 02:26]
Collapse

iLen
iLen  Identity Verified
China
Local time: 10:33
English to Chinese
+ ...
Released Sep 6, 2008

Heartsome Translation Studio is officially released in August. And their support mentioned about the improvement on batch processing and promised this update would be released within this week. We'll see

Martin Cassell
Martin Cassell  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
French to English
Heartsome back from suspended animation? Sep 7, 2008

I used Heartsome in the past for a few projects, and had found it very robust and satisfactory.

However, as far as I know, development on the software had come to a complete halt a year or more ago with the departure of the chief developer Rodolfo M. Raya; the next version had been "coming soon", and the web site just gathering cobwebs, for so long that I had given up looking there for updates, and I invested in a copy of Rodolfo's own XLIFF-based software, Swordfish, as mentioned
... See more
I used Heartsome in the past for a few projects, and had found it very robust and satisfactory.

However, as far as I know, development on the software had come to a complete halt a year or more ago with the departure of the chief developer Rodolfo M. Raya; the next version had been "coming soon", and the web site just gathering cobwebs, for so long that I had given up looking there for updates, and I invested in a copy of Rodolfo's own XLIFF-based software, Swordfish, as mentioned by Andzrej below (see http://www.maxprograms.com ).

So I was quite surprised, first to see activity in this topic again, and secondly to discover that something seems finally to have changed on Heartsome's web site!

I can't comment on the new version, but some comments on the old version of XLIFF editor, which essentially apply also to Swordfish:

- the interface is very different from Wordfast. Wordfast patches on to Word: in Heartsome you work on the converted XLIFF file, in Heartsome's own GUI, and there is (or was) no preview (the new version, which I haven't yet seen, promises some kind of preview facility, but remember you are not working in MS Word); Swordfish provides a limited but helpful context showing the surrounding segments.

- the lack of preview can be an issue with isolated segments (no context)

- you can customise the segmentation rules (if you like programming regular expressions)

- the much more rigorous and robust approach means that it is reliable when Wordfast is not, for instance with PowerPoint files

- you can semi-automatically transfer/copy formatting within a segment, unlike wordfast

- for MS Office documents, Heartsome only works with 2007 versions (xml format), but the MS compatibility pack provides transparent conversion between 2003 and 2007

- personally I found working in Heartsome somewhat slower than Wordfast for Word documents, but always much more reliable and consistent.

- Heartsome handles multiple TM's much better.

[Edited at 2008-09-07 13:44]

[Edited at 2008-09-07 13:47]
Collapse

iLen
iLen  Identity Verified
China
English to Chinese
+ ...
HS Development never stopped! Sep 8, 2008

Hi Martin,

The development of Heartsome software had never come to any kind of halt. Where did you get the information? Maybe you should contact heartsome's sales to get more information. BTW, the product you mentioned is similar but very different from HS's version in feature set.

Martin Cassell wrote:

However, as far as I know, development on the software had come to a complete halt a year or more ago with the departure of the chief developer Rodolfo M. Raya; the next version had been "coming soon", and the web site just gathering cobwebs, for so long that I had given up looking there for updates, and I invested in a copy of Rodolfo's own XLIFF-based software, Swordfish, as mentioned by Andzrej below (see http://www.maxprograms.com ).

So I was quite surprised, first to see activity in this topic again, and secondly to discover that something seems finally to have changed on Heartsome's web site!

I can't comment on the new version, but some comments on the old version of XLIFF editor, which essentially apply also to Swordfish:

- the interface is very different from Wordfast. Wordfast patches on to Word: in Heartsome you work on the converted XLIFF file, in Heartsome's own GUI, and there is (or was) no preview (the new version, which I haven't yet seen, promises some kind of preview facility, but remember you are not working in MS Word); Swordfish provides a limited but helpful context showing the surrounding segments.

- the lack of preview can be an issue with isolated segments (no context)

- you can customise the segmentation rules (if you like programming regular expressions)

- the much more rigorous and robust approach means that it is reliable when Wordfast is not, for instance with PowerPoint files

- you can semi-automatically transfer/copy formatting within a segment, unlike wordfast

- for MS Office documents, Heartsome only works with 2007 versions (xml format), but the MS compatibility pack provides transparent conversion between 2003 and 2007

- personally I found working in Heartsome somewhat slower than Wordfast for Word documents, but always much more reliable and consistent.

- Heartsome handles multiple TM's much better.

[Edited at 2008-09-07 13:44]

[Edited at 2008-09-07 13:47]

Sushan Harshe
Sushan Harshe
India
Local time: 08:03
English to Hindi
+ ...
XLIFF/Wordfast/Heartsome Sep 8, 2008

As much as I have understood, Wordfast can be compared with Devaju or Trados or Logoport. XLIFF, Helium, SDLX should be looked and compared separately, as these are different platforms.
To my experience as far as Indic Unicode font are concerned, none of these software, applications or plug-inn is consistent in results; may be in .doc, .rtf, .ttx, .itd an bla bla bla…. Heartsomes XLIFF can not be a different case.
In my opinion, first in first any localization software should sup
... See more
As much as I have understood, Wordfast can be compared with Devaju or Trados or Logoport. XLIFF, Helium, SDLX should be looked and compared separately, as these are different platforms.
To my experience as far as Indic Unicode font are concerned, none of these software, applications or plug-inn is consistent in results; may be in .doc, .rtf, .ttx, .itd an bla bla bla…. Heartsomes XLIFF can not be a different case.
In my opinion, first in first any localization software should support target language to all extends. In XLIFF and Helium I fond that the Unicode font is not embedded properly. After you open a segment, type in target and when you erase a character with backspace for some reason; on screen it looks that the character is erased, but after you close the segment, it shows junctures where you tried to erase.
Next, at the end of the segment translation after the full stop, if you try to close the segment it won’t! coz the curser is locked. If you give a space the curser will be free and you can close the segment; but this space creates a soft hyphen. To avoid this, you have to use arrow key to free curser. For the first problem you have to go with trial method to eliminate the juncture.
In Trados Logoport class software’s it is seen that without any reason randomly it cracks conjunctions in any particular tag file. This can not be corrected in that particular file while you are connected to TM server or a TM. You have to process this manually after disconnecting the TM.
Collapse

Martin Cassell
Martin Cassell  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
French to English
Long time no heartbeat ... Sep 8, 2008

Anderson Wang wrote:
The development of Heartsome software had never come to any kind of halt. Where did you get the information?

Anderson, it was more a question of getting no information at all.

I waited over a year for the next version which was promised "real soon now", and then I stopped monitoring for updates. The web site never changed and the support wiki had next to no activity. As a registered user I received no communications whatsoever in all that time. In such circumstances, what else is a user to think?

As you can see from this topic alone, I am not the only one who had independently formed the impression that development had stagnated or been abandoned. In addition at least one industry newsletter reported a similar story.

However I am now heartened to see that there is new evidence of life on planet Heartsome!

Piotr Bienkowski
Piotr Bienkowski  Identity Verified
Poland
English to Polish
+ ...
Still beta quality, unfortunately Sep 9, 2008

Last time I tested Heartsome release 7, it was still beta quality. There were a few unpleasant surprises, about which I told Heartsome.

Surprisingly, the last minor update of release 6 of Heartsome XLIFF Editor is more compatible with Swordfish than release 7. I mean that I can create a project in XLIFF Editor (convert files and merge them), translate them on a different computer with Swordfish, and convert them back to the source format in XLIFF Editor again.

I have o
... See more
Last time I tested Heartsome release 7, it was still beta quality. There were a few unpleasant surprises, about which I told Heartsome.

Surprisingly, the last minor update of release 6 of Heartsome XLIFF Editor is more compatible with Swordfish than release 7. I mean that I can create a project in XLIFF Editor (convert files and merge them), translate them on a different computer with Swordfish, and convert them back to the source format in XLIFF Editor again.

I have one license for each product, and that is why I play around this way

One interesting thing in Heartsome R7 is the example based machine translation, which appeared to be more active in R7 than in Swordfish, but Heartsome's other failures keep me from upgrading, the more so, that the XLIFF files from release 7 appear to be incompatible with the XLIFF files from Swordfish.

Regards,

Piotr
Collapse

Piotr Bienkowski
Piotr Bienkowski  Identity Verified
Poland
English to Polish
+ ...
Heartsome and Swordfish not the same thing Sep 9, 2008

Ian Wood wrote:

I am keen to switch from TRADOS on Windows to something on Linux, so I have been fiddling around with the various options out there. I am most impressed by Heartsome and Swordfish, but they seem like almost the same thing.(...)

They are not the same thing. The user interfaces do look similar, but the similarity stops there. There are some differences in the menus and keyboard shortcuts, and some more differences under the hood. You should try both for yourself and choose.

Moving to Linux is quite possible, and actually I do most of my translation work on a laptop with Linux and Swordfish.

Regards,

Piotr

iLen
iLen  Identity Verified
China
English to Chinese
+ ...
Incompatibility is caused by validation Sep 9, 2008

Piotr Bienkowski wrote:

One interesting thing in Heartsome R7 is the example based machine translation, which appeared to be more active in R7 than in Swordfish, but Heartsome's other failures keep me from upgrading, the more so, that the XLIFF files from release 7 appear to be incompatible with the XLIFF files from Swordfish.

Regards,

Piotr

The reason of your experience could be that Heartsome R7 already adopted the latest XLIFF format 1.2, which is different from 1.1 in many ways, while Swordfish is based on the R7 codes in last year, which uses so called transitional XLIFF 1.2 DTD (it's basically the 1.1 DTD) instead of strict 1.2 standard. Since Heartsome R7 tries to Validate XLIFFs and Swordfish don't, you might find certain files that could not be opened in R7. To give more support to XLIFF files that is not fully compliant, Heartsome might need to consider giving up the validation. We will see how this goes in future...

Rick Henry
Rick Henry  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 21:33
Italian to English
+ ...
Studio 7 and HSSuite 6 Sep 9, 2008

Piotr Bienkowski wrote:

I am doing pretty much the same thing between HSSuite6 and Heartsome Studio 7 for the same reasons.

I've not had too many problems doing it this way.

R.
==

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Heartsome Review

Translation news

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »