https://www.proz.com/forum/translator_resources/115030-spanish_electronic_cd_rom_legal_dictionary.html

Spanish Electronic/cd-rom Legal Dictionary
Thread poster: tamberh (X)
tamberh (X)
tamberh (X)
Local time: 06:18
Spanish to English
+ ...
Sep 11, 2008

Hi!

I've fallen in love with a certain legal dictionary, Ariel Derecho's Diccionario de Terminos Juridicos. I've switched to bike commuting though and it's prohibitively heavy, so I'm looking for a good legal dictionary in electronic format, either on a cd-rom or even just as a document. Does anyone know where I can find either Ariel Derecho in that form, or know of a very good legal dictionary for court interpreting that does come in electronic form?

Much appreciated!!
... See more
Hi!

I've fallen in love with a certain legal dictionary, Ariel Derecho's Diccionario de Terminos Juridicos. I've switched to bike commuting though and it's prohibitively heavy, so I'm looking for a good legal dictionary in electronic format, either on a cd-rom or even just as a document. Does anyone know where I can find either Ariel Derecho in that form, or know of a very good legal dictionary for court interpreting that does come in electronic form?

Much appreciated!!!!!
Collapse

Anmol
Anmol
Local time: 17:48
Have anyone tried WordMagic Sep 11, 2008

Has anyone tried the Wordmagic electronic dictionary listed in the ProZ store? (Here is its URL in any case: https://buy.wordmagicsoft.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=22&products_id=143)

I'd be interested in knowing how others find it before deciding to purchase it. Ariel Derecho's dictionary is very good, but could have had more entries, i
... See more
Has anyone tried the Wordmagic electronic dictionary listed in the ProZ store? (Here is its URL in any case: https://buy.wordmagicsoft.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=22&products_id=143)

I'd be interested in knowing how others find it before deciding to purchase it. Ariel Derecho's dictionary is very good, but could have had more entries, in my view.
Collapse

tamberh (X)
tamberh (X)
Local time: 06:18
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks for pointing that out Sep 12, 2008

Anil,

Thanks for drawing my attention to that. I've been searching fruitlessly for something similar, and after downloading the trial version and messing with it for an hour or so with my favorite test terms, here is what I think:

It has a lot of entries, and lots of phrases, which is nice. I even found a few that aren't covered in my other dictionaries. However, I feel that the definitions, even with the pricey add-on pack, are inadequate-they provide little in the way
... See more
Anil,

Thanks for drawing my attention to that. I've been searching fruitlessly for something similar, and after downloading the trial version and messing with it for an hour or so with my favorite test terms, here is what I think:

It has a lot of entries, and lots of phrases, which is nice. I even found a few that aren't covered in my other dictionaries. However, I feel that the definitions, even with the pricey add-on pack, are inadequate-they provide little in the way of examples or context, making it hard to use this as a real translation resource for difficult terms, except maybe as a jumping off point for further research. Basically for most terms all you get is a list of possible translations and synonyms and antonyms. And we all know that in the wrong hands a list of possible translations with no context provided to help choose can be dangerous. Looking at the ones that are covered by the add-on pack, I would still say it's not worth the money.

I feel the user interface is needlessly complex and stilted, not good for really quick lookups. Too many clicks. I have the Oxford spanish dictionary on cd-rom, which I find fantastically simple, and fast to use, but still full of useful features in its ability to search within actual entries for compound terms as opposed to just searching its list. The oxford cd-rom is what an electronic dictionary program should be in my opinion.

I may purchase the basic version, because I think it's important as an interpreter to have whatever resources possible available as a back-up, but I feel that it's a lot of money for a lot of bells and whistles within the program that aren't really all that valuable. It has some good features (like add a word, which would be really helpful for when you've developed your own translation and want to have a quick reference, if you don't already use CAT tools), and it's definitely not totally useless, but I wouldn't say it's worth 275.00 to go buying the whole thing by any means at all. I can't see how the add-on provides quite that much value. Maybe half again the value, tops, but not three hundred percent, if you know what I mean.

Check it out yourself! I'd love to hear what you think. And at least for now I'm still looking for a good legal Spanish-English dictionary program, so if anyone wants to weigh in please do.
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Spanish Electronic/cd-rom Legal Dictionary

Translation news

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »