Mobile menu

Which of these 3 Japanese medical dictionaries is best?
Thread poster: Eric Larson

Eric Larson  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 03:35
Japanese to English
+ ...
Sep 19, 2008

I'd like to buy the most comprehenseive J-E medical dictionary available. It doesn't actually have to be a J-E dictionary per se -- it can also be a strictly Japanese medical dictionary having the English term printed after each Japanese entry. I do not need a J-E E-J dictionary like Stedman's. The three dictionaries I'm considerining are:
南山堂医学大辞典
医学書院医学大辞典
最新医学大辞典

I've used 医学書院医学大辞典, which includes the English after each Japanese word. I was impressed with it, but I don't know how it compares with the others. I don't even know if the other two dictionaries include English words for every Japanese term. A Japanese Amazon reviewer pointed out that 南山堂医学大辞典 includes hiraganawith the kanji, which is a big plus for researching the term on the internet.

Which of these do you think is best, or is there a better one on the market?

Eric

Direct link Reply with quote

Soonthon LUPKITARO(Ph.D.)  Identity Verified
Thailand
Local time: 01:35
Partial member (2004)
English to Thai
+ ...
My preference Sep 19, 2008

I like 南山堂医学大辞典. It is easy to check words by using only parts of a spelling/word/phrase.

Regards,
SL

Eric Larson  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 03:35
Japanese to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Does it include English for every Japanese word? Sep 19, 2008

Thank you, Soonthon. Does 南山堂医学大辞典 include the English word for every Japanese word entry?

I actually want to use it as a J-E dictionary even though that's not what it is. I think Japanese dictionaries that include English words are better than J-E dictionaries because the former usually have more information than the latter.

Eric

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Maria Castro[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Which of these 3 Japanese medical dictionaries is best?

Advanced search

Translation news

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs