Mobile menu

Which of these 3 Japanese medical dictionaries is best?
Thread poster: Eric Larson

Eric Larson  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 00:25
Japanese to English
+ ...
Sep 19, 2008

I'd like to buy the most comprehenseive J-E medical dictionary available. It doesn't actually have to be a J-E dictionary per se -- it can also be a strictly Japanese medical dictionary having the English term printed after each Japanese entry. I do not need a J-E E-J dictionary like Stedman's. The three dictionaries I'm considerining are:
南山堂医学大辞典
医学書院医学大辞典
最新医学大辞典

I've used 医学書院医学大辞典, which includes the English after each Japanese word. I was impressed with it, but I don't know how it compares with the others. I don't even know if the other two dictionaries include English words for every Japanese term. A Japanese Amazon reviewer pointed out that 南山堂医学大辞典 includes hiraganawith the kanji, which is a big plus for researching the term on the internet.

Which of these do you think is best, or is there a better one on the market?

Eric

Direct link Reply with quote

Soonthon LUPKITARO(Ph.D.)  Identity Verified
Thailand
Local time: 22:25
Partial member (2004)
English to Thai
+ ...
My preference Sep 19, 2008

I like 南山堂医学大辞典. It is easy to check words by using only parts of a spelling/word/phrase.

Regards,
SL

Eric Larson  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 00:25
Japanese to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Does it include English for every Japanese word? Sep 19, 2008

Thank you, Soonthon. Does 南山堂医学大辞典 include the English word for every Japanese word entry?

I actually want to use it as a J-E dictionary even though that's not what it is. I think Japanese dictionaries that include English words are better than J-E dictionaries because the former usually have more information than the latter.

Eric

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Maria Castro[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Which of these 3 Japanese medical dictionaries is best?

Advanced search

Translation news

Across v6.3
Translation Toolkit and Sales Potential under One Roof

Apart from features that enable you to translate more efficiently, the new Across Translator Edition v6.3 comprises your crossMarket membership. The new online network for Across users assists you in exploring new sales potential and generating revenue.

More info »
LSP.expert
You’re a freelance translator? LSP.expert helps you manage your daily translation jobs. It’s easy, fast and secure.

How about you start tracking translation jobs and sending invoices in minutes? You can also manage your clients and generate reports about your business activities. So you always keep a clear view on your planning, AND you get a free 30 day trial period!

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs