Pnina
Israel
Local time: 10:35
Italian to Hebrew
+ ...
Sep 20, 2008

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/magazine/7620678.stm

Dear translators,
The current financial crisis has thrown terminology from the business pages onto the front page of newspapers.
Here is a recent guide to the business terms that are currently cropping up regularly, as well as some of the words that have been coined to describe some of the social effec
... See more
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/magazine/7620678.stm

Dear translators,
The current financial crisis has thrown terminology from the business pages onto the front page of newspapers.
Here is a recent guide to the business terms that are currently cropping up regularly, as well as some of the words that have been coined to describe some of the social effects of the credit crunch. (The glossary explains what is credit crunch).
Collapse

Ralf Lemster
Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 09:35
English to German
+ ...
Some definitions are incomplete, or wrong Sep 20, 2008

Thanks for posting, Pnina,
Most of the explanations are fine - some, however, are incomplete (futures are not exclusively based on commodities, for example), and some are plainly wrong (swap).

Best regards,
Ralf

veratek
veratek
Brazil
Local time: 04:35
French to English
+ ...
thanks Sep 23, 2008

nice and simple, thanks for the link.

Vera

Liming Sun
Liming Sun
China
English to Chinese
+ ...
thanks for share Sep 26, 2008

simple and useful. Ding

Ricardo Galarza
Ricardo Galarza
Uruguay
Local time: 04:35
English to Spanish
+ ...
Swap Sep 27, 2008

Ralph:

What is it so wrong about that definition of swap? I always understood that for a swap, or a swap transaction. In fact, when I translate it into Spanish, I always clarify: "... un intercambio de flujos para fijar la tasa de interés que pagará tal o cual entidad", pretty much consistent with the definition in that glossary. Was I wrong all along? Or what is a swap anyway?

It's true that futures not only cover physical commodities, but also financial instruments.
... See more
Ralph:

What is it so wrong about that definition of swap? I always understood that for a swap, or a swap transaction. In fact, when I translate it into Spanish, I always clarify: "... un intercambio de flujos para fijar la tasa de interés que pagará tal o cual entidad", pretty much consistent with the definition in that glossary. Was I wrong all along? Or what is a swap anyway?

It's true that futures not only cover physical commodities, but also financial instruments. But all the other definitions in the glossary seem just fine and indeed useful; at least for me, who am about as layman as you can get. Thanks, Pnina, for the link.
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

The layman's finance crisis glossary

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »