Vito Smolej
Germany
Local time: 05:27
Member (2004)
English to Slovenian
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
Oct 2, 2008

... that will not cost me 3000+ dollars for a one-time shot. I have amassed some from EUROlex (as I need it polilingual) , but editing European legislature is as much fun as creating it.

Any experience so far?

Thank you in advance!

Vito

Charlotte Blank
Charlotte Blank  Identity Verified
Germany
Czech to German
+ ...
One of them Oct 3, 2008

Hi Vito,

I recently had the same problem and found

http://www.eurochem.cz/

to be quite useful. The original homepage is in Czech but you may click on the EN in the upper right side and get it in English. You can search for chemical names, CAS, ES-numbers, formulas, structures, producers' names and some more. Results are in Czech and English, sometimes also in German. And wha
... See more
Hi Vito,

I recently had the same problem and found

http://www.eurochem.cz/

to be quite useful. The original homepage is in Czech but you may click on the EN in the upper right side and get it in English. You can search for chemical names, CAS, ES-numbers, formulas, structures, producers' names and some more. Results are in Czech and English, sometimes also in German. And what's more: For "normal" use it's free of charge

Charlotte

PS: For getting more information you can also register (free) but so far I did not succeed in doing so...
Collapse

Kevin Lossner
Kevin Lossner  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 04:27
German to English
+ ...
You might have a look at the FIZChemie site Oct 3, 2008

Since I'm not sure what it is exactly that you are looking for, this may be a place to start

Vito Smolej
Vito Smolej
Germany
Member (2004)
English to Slovenian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
SITE LOCALIZER
chemical names needed ... Oct 3, 2008

Kevin Lossner wrote:
Since I'm not sure what it is exactly that you are looking for, this may be a place to start

Translating MSDS is one of my major fields and it includes very often names of chemicals. While the first hundred (the elements) are a piece of cake and the first thousand are already in my terminology base, it starts to get complicated with things like naphthalene, 6-bromo-7-methyl-1,2-dihydro- (or was is 7-methoxy something...) Here the CAS number is essential as the key for the chemical record. So the idea is to have first a reference file [CAS][IUPAC][...][english name][commercial name] ... and then hang at the end of the record slowly, methodically the translations.

So typing in 2224-33-1 somewhere is no big deal for me, because I know from the text, it is 2-Butanone, O,O',O''-(ethenylsilylidyne)trioxime, we are talking about. But I would like to use the CAS to get to Slovenian name (my unproven suggestion 2-butanon, O,O',O''-(etenilsililidin)trioksim) via alternative, CAS-based resources like materials of the Slovenian Chemical Society or the Official Journal of the Republic of Slovenia.

[Edited at 2008-10-03 17:17]

Kevin Lossner
Portugal
German to English
+ ...
Go to the source Oct 3, 2008

Ah, now it's clear what you want. I wouldn't mind having the same thing for the languages I deal with, though of course it's rather straightforward finding names in English. I took a look at the CAS site and found an address for their information service and asked if they could point me to a database that does what you/we want. We'll see if/what they answer.

Vito Smolej
Vito Smolej
Germany
Member (2004)
English to Slovenian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
SITE LOCALIZER
Go to source and take a mortgage Oct 4, 2008

I took a look at the CAS site and found an address for their information service and asked if they could point me to a database that does what you/we want. We'll see if/what they answer.

To get it by post costs 2780USD (http://www.cas.org/products/cd/cassi/cassicdprice.html) I am of sure it must be worth the money for somebody like BASF or J&J, but in my case - oh well - I dont think so.

Let me state now explicitely, I do not want any free rides. So I'll go ahead the way I have done it so far - i.e. harvesting publicly accessible information - and keep my eyes peeled.

Regards

Vito

[Edited at 2008-10-04 05:28]

Kevin Lossner
Portugal
German to English
+ ...
I see what you mean Oct 4, 2008

> To get it by post costs 2780USD
> (http://www.cas.org/products/cd/cassi/cassicdprice.html)
> I am of sure it must be worth the money for somebody
> like BASF or J&J, but in my case - oh well - I don't think so.

That certainly is a lot for an individual. You also don't need all the bibliographical information in all languages. Thus I suspect that
... See more
> To get it by post costs 2780USD
> (http://www.cas.org/products/cd/cassi/cassicdprice.html)
> I am of sure it must be worth the money for somebody
> like BASF or J&J, but in my case - oh well - I don't think so.

That certainly is a lot for an individual. You also don't need all the bibliographical information in all languages. Thus I suspect that another database or perhaps online searching of this one at a reasonable rate may be suitable. I miss the days when I could do CAS searches on an academic account that would have cost me thousands of dollars otherwise.

Maybe you could propose to the CAS partner close to you (FIZChemie in Berlin I think it is) developing a specific information glossary for your purposes. It's a bit of a long shot, but they are constantly developing new products, and a properly structured deal could benefit both parties.
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Looking for a reference CAS source

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »