Purchasing Multitran Russian < > English Dictionary
Thread poster: Richard DiPrima

Richard DiPrima  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 20:14
Russian to English
+ ...
Oct 5, 2008

Has anyone purchased the Russian < > English dictionary Multitran? The website www.multitran.ru claims you can purchase a version of their dictionary similar or identical to the online version. I'm wondering if anyone who has purchased the dictionary can tell me how difficult it is to set it up locally on their computer.

Direct link Reply with quote

Rimma Kehr
Germany
Local time: 02:14
German to English
+ ...
Multitran RU-EN Oct 5, 2008

Hello Richard,

as for me, I downloaded a free version, then extracted them, please try the same.
If you will be satisfied, you can purchase it later.

Best regards

rimma

Oleksandr Ivanov  Identity Verified
Ukraine
Local time: 03:14
Member (2008)
English to Ukrainian
+ ...
Happy Multitran user Oct 5, 2008

Yes, Richard, I did it two months ago: I've been using the online version for four years, and then decided that I needed offline access to the dictionaries (I've bought the multilingual version). The dictionary is very close to the online version, but works much faster.

I would say, it was extremely easy to install and set up the software. Please bear in mind that the interface is sometimes counter-intuitive: you have to toggle the interface language (Russian/English) via View menu (Russian messages/English messages item) - меню "Вид" (Английские сообщения).

James McVay  Identity Verified
United States
Russian to English
+ ...
I bought recently Oct 5, 2008

I think it's worth having. The price is right, and you don't need to worry about the site going down. There are a couple of things you need to be aware of before you buy, though.

I wanted the CD, in case I needed to reinstall quickly. But it takes quite a while for them to ship the CD to you. If you have a high-speed internet connection, that might be quicker. The installation is quick and easy from the CD, but then you need to run an update to synchronize the dictionary with the latest version -- and that takes hours. I imagine the download also takes hours -- it's a huge file -- but at least you get it quicker.

The program itself is pretty intuitive, although it is somewhat primitive. Check out the FAQ on the Multitran site before you install it. If you haven't already done it, you will need to set up your computer to display Cyrillic, or you won't be able to read the on-screen installation messages or use the phrase list. The FAQ tells you how to do it by going into the Regional and Language Options menu on the Control Panel. It's not the same as setting up to type Cyrillic characters.

I like Multitran and use it all the time. It's faster than the online version, but IMHO the way it functions isn't quite as friendly. However, it does look up terms you copy to the clipboard immediately, and by default the Multitran window pops up as soon as you copy something. That can be a great time saver, but it can also be intrusive and irritating if you're using a CAT program. It pops up every time you go to a new segment. That automatic pop-up feature can be turned off, however.

I would love to see a version that looks and feels like the online dictionary. I especially like the layout of the phrases in the online version. I don't find the installed version quite as easy to use.

One more thing: I've had the program "lose" the dictionary file several times. It is easy to reinstall, but the update takes a long, long time. I haven't contacted their tech support about this issue, yet, but I found them helpful on another issue.

United States
Russian to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks for the advice Oct 10, 2008

Rimma, Oleksandr and James,

Thanks for your responses. Following Rimma's advice, I downloaded the free 1-million term dictionary. As James suggested, I modified my Vista OS parameters so that the text of the application displays in Cyrillic. Instructions for doing that are here:

http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homepages/PaulGor/full_e.htm

The dictionary so far is working great, and I'm looking forward to purchasing a hard copy on Monday. I'll check back in with this forum post when it arrives.

-Richard

United States
Russian to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Purchased Multitran Rus <> English full version Dec 22, 2008

The software works great. It takes quite a while to download the database from the vendor's server, but if you order the CD you can reinstall Multitran in a matter of minutes.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Maria Castro[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Purchasing Multitran Russian < > English Dictionary

Advanced search

Translation news

memoQ translator pro
Kilgray's memoQ is the world's fastest developing integrated localization & translation environment rendering you more productive and efficient.

With our advanced file filters, unlimited language and advanced file support, memoQ translator pro has been designed for translators and reviewers who work on their own, with other translators or in team-based translation projects.

More info »
Across v6.3
Translation Toolkit and Sales Potential under One Roof

Apart from features that enable you to translate more efficiently, the new Across Translator Edition v6.3 comprises your crossMarket membership. The new online network for Across users assists you in exploring new sales potential and generating revenue.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs