Thread poster: Raluca Ion (X)
Raluca Ion (X)
Raluca Ion (X)  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 10:15
English to Romanian
+ ...
Jun 11, 2003

I know there was a posting in the forum about this...I have been looking for it, but no luck. I have a .tif document that I am trying to turn into .doc. Anybody? Please? Help!

Yuri Dubrov
Yuri Dubrov  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
Local time: 12:15
English to Russian
+ ...
Try Text Recognition Software ---- FineReader for instance Jun 11, 2003

Raluca Ion wrote:

I know there was a posting in the forum about this...I have been looking for it, but no luck. I have a .tif document that I am trying to turn into .doc. Anybody? Please? Help!

Hi
It is impossible without this. Try FineReader and save the results as Word-document.
Or you insert the picture into an empty Word document and save it as a Word document.

Andrzej Lejman
Andrzej Lejman  Identity Verified
Poland
Local time: 11:15
Member (2004)
German to Polish
+ ...
You cannot directly. Jun 11, 2003

.tif is a graphic file, while .doc is a text file. The only way is to scan the image (.tif) and than to use one of the programms for optical character recognition (FineReader, Recognita).
Regards
Andrzej

Alison Schwitzgebel
Alison Schwitzgebel
France
German to English
+ ...
Docmorph is an online free text recognition program Jun 11, 2003

http://docmorph.nlm.nih.gov/docmorph/

THis is an online, free text recognition program - you need to register first, then use the extract text function.

It is VERY important to select the correct language for your TIF file - i.e. German or English or whatever. Otherwise you'll get garbled results.

Also I wouldn't use this site for anything confidential - you n
... See more
http://docmorph.nlm.nih.gov/docmorph/

THis is an online, free text recognition program - you need to register first, then use the extract text function.

It is VERY important to select the correct language for your TIF file - i.e. German or English or whatever. Otherwise you'll get garbled results.

Also I wouldn't use this site for anything confidential - you never know who's looking over your shoulder on the Net.

HTH

Alison
Collapse

Robert Zawadzki (X)
Robert Zawadzki (X)  Identity Verified
English to Polish
+ ...
Direct OCR for TIF files Jun 11, 2003

I got an OCR (called TextBrigde) with my scanner, that could convert a TIF file into a text file. I guess these better known (such as Recognita) can do the same.

Rishi Miranhshah
Rishi Miranhshah  Identity Verified
Canada
English to Punjabi
+ ...
download.com Jun 11, 2003

There used to be a free OCR software for download at download.com, called 'Simple OCR' - I haven't checked out lately, so am not sure if it's still available.

Soonthon LUPKITARO(Ph.D.)
Soonthon LUPKITARO(Ph.D.)  Identity Verified
Thailand
Local time: 16:15
English to Thai
+ ...
TIF as grapic in Doc. Jun 12, 2003

You can save .TIF as graphic in MS Word.
Select Insert > File > .TIF
Then save it as 'graphic' not 'text' in MS Word.

sylver
sylver  Identity Verified
Local time: 17:15
English to French
Hum Jun 18, 2003

Soonthon LUPKITARO(Ph.D.) wrote:

You can save .TIF as graphic in MS Word.
Select Insert > File > .TIF
Then save it as 'graphic' not 'text' in MS Word.

Hum. I suspect the actual question is "how to work with the tif file in word?". Inserting a Tif file in word will do nothing, as, of course, she won't be able to edit the text there either. OCR is the way to go, unless the file is not good, at which point she would be better off printing it, and typing it in.

I hope it's short. Working with text on a bitmap file is one step backward from working with paper.

Charlotte Blank
Charlotte Blank  Identity Verified
Germany
Czech to German
+ ...
It is! Jun 18, 2003

Rishi Miranhshah wrote:

There used to be a free OCR software for download at download.com, called 'Simple OCR' - I haven't checked out lately, so am not sure if it's still available.

Yes, it is still available, here's the URL:
http://download.com.com/3000-2070-10152129.html?tag=lst-0-1

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

how do I turn .tif into .doc?

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »