Thread poster: Jack Doughty

Jack Doughty  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 00:10
Member (2000)
Russian to English
+ ...
Oct 8, 2008

I posted this in the Russian forum recently, & had two takers. Putting it here in the hope of reaching a wider audience.

Many people, myself included, prefer to type Russian using a Cyrillic "YaWERTY" or "Student" keyboard layout, such as the one designed by Paul Gorodyansky, available at
I was using this on my desktop (Windows XP) computer, but I had problems getting it to work on a new laptop (Vista), though Paul gives instructions for installing it under Vista. The computer refused to recognize the presence of a certain file in the specified location, though it was in fact there, so it may have been a registry problem. I emailed Paul and he gave me some advice, which I followed, but still without success. So I tried to create my own layout using Microsoft Keyboard Layout Creator. I had tried this software before and never understood it well enough to make it work, but this time I succeeded, and created my own layout, almost identical to Paul's, but with the @ and the " switched with each other to make it more like a UK English keyboard, as opposed to the US English one on which Paul's was based, and with the addition of a plus sign instead of one of the forward slashes, of which there are two in Paul's layout.
Here is mine:

So why am I telling you all this? Well, the point is that having created it, I had a folder which I transferred by a memory stick to my desktop computer and installed it there, by a much simpler procedure than that required for the Paul Gorodyansky layout. All you do is double-click the folder, double-click the Setup file in it, which will then proceed with the setup (but invisibly, without the usual blue process bar) until it is complete, when it will come back to tell you so. If you go into Control Panel > Regional and Language Settings and look up the keyboards available for Russian, you will find the new one there. Check that, uncheck all other Russian keyboards, and you will have your new YaWERTY keyboard layout.
I am willing to email this folder (free of charge, of course) to anyone who wants it and contacts me through my profile.

[Edited at 2008-10-08 15:15]

Direct link Reply with quote
Jana Zajicova  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
Member (2007)
English to Czech
+ ...
SC Unipad Oct 8, 2008 - I use this one to create my own layouts.
+ You can use it on all computers.
- It is not integrated with MS Word and other applications.

Direct link Reply with quote

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Maria Castro[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Russian keyboard layout based on QWERTY

Advanced search

Translation news

PerfectIt consistency checker
Faster Checking, Greater Accuracy

PerfectIt helps deliver error-free documents. It improves consistency, ensures quality and helps to enforce style guides. It’s a powerful tool for pro users, and comes with the assurance of a 30-day money back guarantee.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

More info »

All of
  • All of
  • Term search
  • Jobs