Thread poster: Lia Fail (X)
Lia Fail (X)
Lia Fail (X)  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 15:14
Spanish to English
+ ...
Jun 27, 2003

I am presently researching my Translation Master´s translation dissertation, and will be describing translator resources (dictionaries, glossaries, experts etc)and their advans and disadvans. Obviously i will include a section on the Internet, but I want to focus on the following:

1. access is free
2. the resource is not a duplication (e.g. an online dictionary is not of interest, nor glossaries, as these can be obtained in hard copy, so teh 'concept' already exists), but an
... See more
I am presently researching my Translation Master´s translation dissertation, and will be describing translator resources (dictionaries, glossaries, experts etc)and their advans and disadvans. Obviously i will include a section on the Internet, but I want to focus on the following:

1. access is free
2. the resource is not a duplication (e.g. an online dictionary is not of interest, nor glossaries, as these can be obtained in hard copy, so teh 'concept' already exists), but an enhanced or new resource.
3. practising translators find it especially useful in a different way from traditional resources (eg ProZ itself is a good example!)

I am particularly interested in search engines, meta-indexes, etc that are relevant to translators, whether for terminology or contextual, or conceptual information.

Any help will be much appreciated.

Ailish:-)
Collapse

HRiley
HRiley  Identity Verified
Local time: 15:14
Spanish to English
+ ...
Plumb Design Visual Thesaurus Jun 30, 2003

This is a fantastic resource, which I find extremely useful. It may not be translator-specific, as it's monolingual, but I use it all the time. Helps me work out what I'm trying to say!! And the concept is so innovative, I'm not sure there's anything else like it on the Web!

http://www.visualthesaurus.com/online/index.html

Margaret Schroeder
Margaret Schroeder  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 08:14
Spanish to English
+ ...
On-line glossaries and dictionaries Jul 2, 2003

Ailish Maher wrote:

2. the resource is not a duplication (e.g. an online dictionary is not of interest, nor glossaries, as these can be obtained in hard copy, so the 'concept' already exists), but an enhanced or new resource.

Glossaries: You might want to rethink that point in respect to glossaries. There is surely no way that we could have hard copy access to the literally thousands of glossaries that can be found and used on-line. I suggest that glossaries certainly fall into your category of an "enhanced" resource.

Dictionaries: A less important point, but I use on-line dictionaries when a word crops up in a language that I don't normally work with. Through on-line dictionaries, I have access to dictionaries in dozens of languages, which I use too rarely to justify the investment of buying them, avoiding the need for a time-consuming trip to the library just to look up a single word.

[Edited at 2003-07-02 03:09]

Nadezhda Osipova
Nadezhda Osipova
Local time: 17:14
English to Russian
+ ...
What languages do you focuse on? Jul 2, 2003

What particular languages do you focuse on?
Maybe it could be quite interesting to compare what kind of resources can be found for different language pairs and what pairs are poorly represented on the web.

Good luck.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

your favorite online resources - help for a thesis

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »