DTP agency for post-translation DTP
Thread poster: AchimT (X)
AchimT (X)
AchimT (X)
English
Dec 17, 2008

Does anyone have any recommendations for good DTP agencies? They should be professionals and know the business, preferrably not coming from the translation business but rather from the print side.

Thanks for all hints and tips in advance

Achim

Maria Karra
Maria Karra  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 14:01
Member (2000)
Greek to English
+ ...
moderator's note Dec 21, 2008

I would like to ask everyone to reply to Achim through his profile.
Thank you,
Maria

José Henrique Lamensdorf
José Henrique Lamensdorf  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 15:01
English to Portuguese
+ ...
In memoriam
Be more specific, and post a job Dec 21, 2008

Achim,

I think you should be more specific about your needs, i.e, answer my two starting questions:
1. What do you HAVE?
2. What do you WANT or NEED?

... maybe then you'll be able to post a JOB on Proz, and not a message on the forum.

Some relevant issues...

Is there any creative/illustration work involved? Or are you just trying to remake a publication existing in one language in another, as close to the original as possible?
... See more
Achim,

I think you should be more specific about your needs, i.e, answer my two starting questions:
1. What do you HAVE?
2. What do you WANT or NEED?

... maybe then you'll be able to post a JOB on Proz, and not a message on the forum.

Some relevant issues...

Is there any creative/illustration work involved? Or are you just trying to remake a publication existing in one language in another, as close to the original as possible?

Will there be an alphabet shift? If your job involves Latin chars on one side, and Cyrillic, Arabic, Hebrew, Japanese, Chinese etc. on the other, you'll need specialized professionals.

Are there illustrations, especially photographs, with embedded text requiring not only removal (for placing the translation there) but background reconstruction?

Are there files available for a specific DTP program? (e.g. InDesign, QuarkXpress, FrameMaker, PageMaker, Scribus, PagePlus, MS Publisher) This could costs significantly, if you find a corresponding operator. DTP files are not reliably convertible - when they are at all, which is rare - from one software to another. If this is the case, it's best to seek someone who works with the same program.

Has text been marked/spotted for cross-reference? You can see an example of the marked original here http://www.lamensdorf.com.br/dtp/mark1.jpg and the xref'd translation here http://www.lamensdorf.com.br/dtp/mark2.jpg .
Either this has to be done, or you'll need a DTP operator that is fluent in one language (source or destination) and has sufficient knowledge of the other, to sort out what goes where and how.

Hope this helps.
Collapse

Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT
Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 20:01
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Can't - Profile too incomplete Dec 22, 2008

Maria Karra wrote:
I would like to ask everyone to reply to Achim through his profile.
Thank you,
Maria

I can't María. The profile says nothing. I don't know who I am writing to in reality.

Anna Villegas
Anna Villegas
Mexico
Local time: 12:01
English to Spanish
Empty profiles Dec 22, 2008

I think these empty profiles should not be allowed on Proz.com. A minimum of data should be a must.

Correct me if I'm wrong.

José Henrique Lamensdorf
José Henrique Lamensdorf  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 15:01
English to Portuguese
+ ...
In memoriam
I second that! Dec 22, 2008

Carvallo wrote:

I think these empty profiles should not be allowed on Proz.com. A minimum of data should be a must.

Correct me if I'm wrong.

You are definitely right!

There are way too many incognitos here posting jobs and bidding for them. If they want to lie about their info, it's their game.

Maria Karra
Maria Karra  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 14:01
Member (2000)
Greek to English
+ ...
empty profiles Dec 22, 2008

I agree with you all, I'd rather see some more information on user profiles. However, sometimes people with empty profiles are not translators so they don't have much info to add; they google something, a related ProZ-forum discussion comes up, they find it interesting, and they register so they can post in the forums too. That's all.
If you believe that only language professionals should be allowed to register, perhaps we could discuss this in the ProZ suggestions forum.
Let's sta
... See more
I agree with you all, I'd rather see some more information on user profiles. However, sometimes people with empty profiles are not translators so they don't have much info to add; they google something, a related ProZ-forum discussion comes up, they find it interesting, and they register so they can post in the forums too. That's all.
If you believe that only language professionals should be allowed to register, perhaps we could discuss this in the ProZ suggestions forum.
Let's stay on topic here.

Maria
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

DTP agency for post-translation DTP

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »