Mobile menu

Japanese names: online resource to convert these to a romanized version?
Thread poster: Warren Lindsay
Warren Lindsay  Identity Verified
Local time: 03:52
Chinese to English
Jan 6, 2009

I occasionally come across Japanese names in my translation of Chinese materials, and as I don't speak Japanese, I typically rely on google to come up with romanized matches. This usually only works for the names of well known people, and I'm wondering if there is an online resource where I could just plunk in the name using the Chinese characters and get a romanized version in return?

[Subject edited by staff or moderator 2009-01-07 12:33 GMT]

Direct link Reply with quote

Robert Tucker
United Kingdom
Local time: 09:52
German to English
+ ...
Converter Jan 6, 2009

There are a number of Kanji to Romaji converters. This online one for example:

Also came across this site:

Rod Walters  Identity Verified
Local time: 17:52
Japanese to English
WWWJDIC Jan 7, 2009

Hi Warren

Go to

From the Dictionary: pulldown, select "Combined Jpn-Eng".

In the Keyword field, paste the Japanese name and hit Search.

This will generally give you a selection of readings from which you can pick the most frequently occurring name.

Two caveats:

You generally have no way to check that your pick is the correct one, so you should advise your client to confirm the name because it may be wrong.

If you enter a family name/given name combination in the dictionary, you probably won't get a useful answer. You need to know where to separate the two parts, and enter them one at a time. If you don't know, use trial and error.

Names are one of the reliably time-consuming aspects of translation from Japanese...

Warren Lindsay  Identity Verified
Local time: 03:52
Chinese to English
All very useful Jan 7, 2009

Thanks, Robert and Rod, for pointing me in the right direction, your tips/resources will definitely come in handy in the future

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Maria Castro[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Japanese names: online resource to convert these to a romanized version?

Advanced search

Translation news

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »
Across v6.3
Translation Toolkit and Sales Potential under One Roof

Apart from features that enable you to translate more efficiently, the new Across Translator Edition v6.3 comprises your crossMarket membership. The new online network for Across users assists you in exploring new sales potential and generating revenue.

More info »

All of
  • All of
  • Term search
  • Jobs