wanted: resource to help someone learn French
Thread poster: Carolingua

Carolingua  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 14:23
Spanish to English
+ ...
Jul 7, 2003

I would like to teach my husband French--but he is language challenged (he speaks only English and a little bit of Spanish)--can anyone recommend a resource that would make it easier for me to teach him and more fun for him to learn? I would like it to be geared to Americans (speaking American English), if possible.

Direct link Reply with quote

Said Kaljanac a.k.a. SARAJ  Identity Verified
Belgium
Local time: 23:23
Bosnian to French
+ ...
MY WAY Jul 7, 2003

There are no secrets for learning a language. If your husband wants to speak French as soon as possible here is a good solution:

1-He must learn two most important verbs and auxiliaries "être" and "avoir" and their conjugation. Without them he can't go on.

2-Ask him to write down all the objects he sees around and give him the translation. No mercy, he MUST know all he sees in French + several most important verbs and their conjugation!

3-Start speaking French with him using the words he knows. Force him to talk. Don't pay attention on his accent in the beginning, but make him understand that he must be corrected each time he makes a mistake, even if it's frustrating for him. Even if he syells and shouts and is fed up. Neither you nor he must give up.

4-After that step YOU take an English-French dictionary and take time to tick every important word from A to Z (at least 2000 words -nouns, verbs, adjectives...). When you finish the ticking:

5-Give him the dictionary and force him to write down every ticked word in his own notebook or glossary or whatever from A to Z.

6-When he's finished force him to memorize every day at least 50 words per day from his own glossary and check if he knows them by heart. Make him use those new words. At the end of day he must remember at least 80% of what he learned.

7-Don't forget to talk to him only in French, and he to you too, no matter how strange and diffciult it may seem.

8-Never give up.

9-If he abides by these rules, after 6 months he'll be fluent in French under the sole condition that you two speak only French during those 6 months.

10-Buy him a Bescherelle - conjugaison; and an easy to read book in French with a "Petit Robert" to help him when he doesn't understand a word. And whenever he doesn't understand a word he must ask you "how to say...".

In the beginning it will be tough, very tough, but in the end it will be easier and easier.

This is not the funniest way to learn, but the fastest. Now, if this takes 6 months to be fluent, the funniest way will take ages.

I hope that this can help you and your husband.

SARAJ

[Edited at 2003-07-07 23:46]

Said Kaljanac a.k.a. SARAJ  Identity Verified
Belgium
Local time: 23:23
Bosnian to French
+ ...
Easier way? Jul 7, 2003

Here you go

http://www.bonjourdefrance.com/

Good luck

SARAJ

Carolingua  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 14:23
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you SaraJ for your helpful suggestions! Jul 7, 2003

Thank you for taking the time to share your techniques with me! I will try them, and I really appreciate your help.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Maria Castro[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

wanted: resource to help someone learn French

Advanced search

Translation news

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs