Looking for the best English-German dictionary
Thread poster: Stephanie M.
Stephanie M.  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 21:53
English to German
Jul 8, 2003

Hello everybody,
I finally decided to take the ATA certification test and I am looking for a very good dicitionary that would cover business, computer, mechancial, etc terms as well. I have general and college-level dictionaries and I need something more advanced.
Thank you for your help.
Stephanie

Direct link Reply with quote

Olav Rixen
Canada
Local time: 19:53
English to German
+ ...
No such animal Jul 9, 2003

Stephanie M. wrote:

Hello everybody,
I finally decided to take the ATA certification test and I am looking for a very good dicitionary that would cover business, computer, mechancial, etc terms as well. I have general and college-level dictionaries and I need something more advanced.
Thank you for your help.
Stephanie

Stephanie, there is no such thing as a dictionary that comprises all these fields in any depth. Rather, in all these fields you can get a number of comprehensive dictionaries which are very useful. If it is an open book exam you are taking, the text will probably be of a more general nature.

Anton Meier  Identity Verified
Local time: 04:53
English to German
Check out acolada.de Jul 10, 2003

The German company Acolada GmbH offers the most comprehensive library of German-English-French-Spanish electronic dictionaries.

Topic areas include electronics, IT, engineering, chemistry, business, law etc.

They can all be viewed and searched with their free dictionary browser Unilex.

Check it out at www.acolada.de

Kevin Fulton
United States
Local time: 22:53
German to English
Bring specialized dictionaries Jul 10, 2003

Depending upon the fields you have selected for the ATA exam, you are probably better off bringing a good general tech dictionary (Ernst or Kucera, for example) or general business dictionary (Hamblock/Wessels). The Grosser Muret-Sanders is quite comprehensive, but it's out of date (unless there has been a new version in the past year or two). Der grosse Eichborn is also relatively comprehensive and relatively up-to-date, but very expensive.
Look at
http://www.kater-commerce.com/index.php
for possible reference works. The company specializes in dictionaries for translators.
Kevin

Stephanie M.  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 21:53
English to German
TOPIC STARTER
Thinking about Muret-Sanders Jul 10, 2003

Kfulton wrote:

Depending upon the fields you have selected for the ATA exam, you are probably better off bringing a good general tech dictionary (Ernst or Kucera, for example) or general business dictionary (Hamblock/Wessels). The Grosser Muret-Sanders is quite comprehensive, but it's out of date (unless there has been a new version in the past year or two). Der grosse Eichborn is also relatively comprehensive and relatively up-to-date, but very expensive.
Look at
http://www.kater-commerce.com/index.php
for possible reference works. The company specializes in dictionaries for translators.
Kevin

Thanks so much, I love Langenscheidt and had looked at Muret Sanders before. Actually, they do have an updated version out now. Appreciate your tips.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Maria Castro[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Looking for the best English-German dictionary

Advanced search

WordFinder
The words you want Anywhere, Anytime

WordFinder is the market's fastest and easiest way of finding the right word, term, translation or synonym in one or more dictionaries. In our assortment you can choose among more than 120 dictionaries in 15 languages from leading publishers.

More info »
PDF Translation - the Easy Way
TransPDF converts your PDFs to XLIFF ready for professional translation.

TransPDF converts your PDFs to XLIFF ready for professional translation. It also puts your translations back into the PDF to make new PDFs. Quicker and more accurate than hand-editing PDF. Includes free use of Infix PDF Editor with your translated PDFs.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums