Mobile menu

Editing a locked question makes one lose the thread
Thread poster: Narasimhan Raghavan

Narasimhan Raghavan  Identity Verified
Local time: 21:44
English to Tamil
+ ...
Jul 9, 2003

When a thread is locked, I feel that the editing option should be disabled. See: http://www.proz.com/topic/12448. It was locked with the remark that the subject was not exactly appropriate for the forums. But what do I see now? The original poster has gone and given his reply to Ralf by editing his original posting as the poor man had no other place to write, except perhaps send an email to Ralf. Now the result is that the thread has lost its thread (A very bad pun?). Anyhow no need to despair. The original posting is fully quoted in my reply in that thread.
While answering Proz.com questions, the answerers can only add notes and cannot edit their original entries. Something like that is required for the forum postings too.

Direct link Reply with quote

sylvie malich
Germany
Local time: 17:14
German to English
Sorry Narasimhan, I don't agree... Jul 9, 2003

I do think your suggestion could prove disasterous. The "poor man" edited his posting out of embarassment. Read through the whole thread and pay attention to why Ralf closed the thread and edited it.

I believe the option to edit locked questions should remain.

Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
System works as designed, and should stay that way Jul 9, 2003

Hi Narasimhan and Sylvie,
The topic of the thread wasn't the problem here - otherwise, the thread would have been deleted immediately.

The poster was contacted off-list by one of our colleagues who speaks Ukrainian; therefore, he had no need to write to me.

We left the thread visible mainly because of the valuable contributions made.

Best regards, Ralf

English to Tamil
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
How can it be disastrous Jul 9, 2003

The thread in question as it stands now does not make any sense, this you would agree. The initiating poster could have added his remarks to the original posting. After all Ralf himself said there was nothing objectionable on the contents per se. If someone not knowing the background were to look at that thread after say a month from now, he or she will be at sea. Further by editing and removing the original entry, nothing was achieved as the said entry is available as a quote in my reply and all I did now was to point out that fact. And could you please explain how
my suggestion is disastrous? After all a man has posted something to which people have reacted quite kindly. Even the locking of the thread was done gently. I mean, a person should stand by what he has written. That is the reason of my initiating this thread.

sylvie malich wrote:

I do think your suggestion could prove disasterous. The "poor man" edited his posting out of embarassment. Read through the whole thread and pay attention to why Ralf closed the thread and edited it.

I believe the option to edit locked questions should remain.

DGK T-I  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 16:14
Member (2003)
Georgian to English
+ ...
A suggestion in the hope that it will please everyone (perhaps....) Jul 9, 2003

Would Narasimhan be satisfied, and would it be acceptable to the moderators & community, to (definitely not as a precedent) restore the continuity of the thread by editing the first posting, so that it contained the text of the poster's original message (as recorded in Narasimhan's posting - harmless & not without linguistic interest as it requested "rare" language resources) and below that the words "[referring to a later comment, since withdrawn:]" and the welcome apology (for a later regrettable comment) that is now in the box. Any factual title relating to the language would do, if the original one can't be remembered.
It would seem not to violate any principles in the circumstances, since it is not a distortion of what the writer of a posting has actually written.

Best wishes
Giuli

[Edited at 2003-07-10 07:11]

Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
Edited the title Jul 9, 2003

...adding a neutral explanation.

I hope that settles it.

Best, Ralf

English to Tamil
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
I am all admiration Ralf Jul 10, 2003

Under the circumstances your modified title does wonders. Done in the style of an accomplished linguist.

Ralf Lemster wrote:

...adding a neutral explanation.

I hope that settles it.

Best, Ralf

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Maria Castro[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Editing a locked question makes one lose the thread

Advanced search

Translation news

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs