Mobile menu

Trados + CD dictionaries with netbook?
Thread poster: Clifford Marcus
Clifford Marcus
Local time: 12:06
Spanish to English
+ ...
Jan 14, 2009

Is it possible to use Trados (I use version 7) with a netbook? - I was thinking of the samsung NC10 Netbook which seems to be the highest powered one.
Would a netbook also be able to accommodate standard CD dictionaries as well (obviously I'd need to get a CD drive to install them).
Any help deeply appreciated

Direct link Reply with quote

Sergei Leshchinsky  Identity Verified
Local time: 14:06
Member (2008)
English to Russian
+ ...
There are... Jan 14, 2009

... portable versions of Trados. They are just 50M, 1 file, and run from a flash-drive... Think about portable soft.

Local time: 13:06
English to Hungarian
+ ...
not the issue Jan 14, 2009

Sergei Leshchinsky wrote:

... portable versions of Trados. They are just 50M, 1 file, and run from a flash-drive... Think about portable soft.

Being able to install the software or having the storage space is not the bottleneck.
The performance of netbooks is so limited that software may run so slowly as to be of no practical use.
I don't know how Trados does on weak hardware. It doesn't do anything too fancy so it should be ok but who knows... If you have a platter HD be prepared for very slow searches in large TMs. Also, you may not even be able to use very large TMs and termbases due to RAM limitations.

Dictionaries should be ok, if you have one that needs you to insert the cd (every time it runs or every now and agin), use daemon tools or other virtual drive software. Daemon tools also allows you to install these without a USB CD drive. Just make a disc image on another computer and trasfer it to the netbook, then mount it. (In all likelihood, you can also install from the files themselves, simply copied off the CD.)

[Edited at 2009-01-14 20:29 GMT]

Miroslav Jeftic  Identity Verified
English to Serbian
+ ...
Yup. Jan 14, 2009

I can see that the model you mentioned has 160GB hard drive, so it's more than enough for the full version of the software you need.

Narcis Lozano Drago  Identity Verified
Member (2007)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Yes, you can Jan 15, 2009

I use Trados 2007 in a netbook (a Kojinsha S130B), running Vista, no problem so far.

As for the CD dictionaries (or any CD software for that matter), you don't really need an external drive. If you have another computer with a CD/DVD drive you can connect both computers using a Crossover cable, share the drive and install the software in your netbook from it.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Maria Castro[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Trados + CD dictionaries with netbook?

Advanced search

Translation news

The words you want Anywhere, Anytime

WordFinder is the market's fastest and easiest way of finding the right word, term, translation or synonym in one or more dictionaries. In our assortment you can choose among more than 120 dictionaries in 15 languages from leading publishers.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

More info »

All of
  • All of
  • Term search
  • Jobs