Mobile menu

Pronunciation of German phrases using English - looking for tool
Thread poster: Thomas Schmidt
Thomas Schmidt  Identity Verified
Local time: 03:30
English to German
+ ...
Jan 30, 2009

Does anyone know of a software or online service that offers some type of phonetics for German words, based on the English language? I'm working on a translation from English into German and I need to provide pronunciation help for English speakers. For example, for my translation of the phrase 'Happy New Year' (which is 'Frohes Neues Jahr') I need to include something like 'froh-ihs noi-ihs yahr'. This task is very tedious and I am wondering if there are any tools or online resources that might be helpful. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Thank you,

Thomas Schmidt

Direct link Reply with quote

Fernando Guimaraes  Identity Verified
Local time: 02:30
German to Portuguese
+ ...
Etwas wie: Jan 30, 2009

Johanna Timm, PhD  Identity Verified
Local time: 18:30
Member (2002)
English to German
+ ...
AH-dee-dass and GER-ta Jan 31, 2009

This site offers a simplified phonetic “alphabet”:

With a little practice, you will be able to pronounce, spell [and hopefully visit] the ‘HOFE-broy-house’ in no time

Hope it helps!

Local time: 03:30
English to German
Just get any English/German dictionary published in the USA Jan 31, 2009

Many English/German dictionaries published in the USA don't use the API/IPA phonetic symbols but their own simplified pronunciation guides, which is exactly what you need.
Just go to any large chain bookstore and have a look at the dictionaries on sale and buy a cheap paperback version.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Maria Castro[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Pronunciation of German phrases using English - looking for tool

Advanced search

Translation news

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »

All of
  • All of
  • Term search
  • Jobs