DE>EN techical dictionary/glossary (telecom)
Thread poster: Jeana Clark
Jeana Clark
Jeana Clark  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 23:23
German to English
Feb 2, 2009

I am anticipating being involved in a large translation project (DE>EN) in the field of telecommunications. I have the Ernst DE>EN technical dictionary already, but was wondering if there are some telecom specific dictionaries or glossaries that come highly recommended.

Erik Freitag
Erik Freitag  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 06:23
Member (2006)
Dutch to German
+ ...
Langenscheidt Feb 2, 2009

There is the Langenscheidt Fachwörterbuch Informationstechnik. I haven't used it much, but I dare say it will be more helpful and reliable than Ernst.

Lucy Brooks
Lucy Brooks  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 05:23
German to English
+ ...
Telecoms dictionary Feb 2, 2009

I have a dictionary called "Wörterbuch der Elektronik, Datentechnik und Telekommunikations.
It's by Vittorio Ferretti and is DE-EN.
I do not know if it's available on CD.
Lucy Brooks

Kevin Fulton
Kevin Fulton  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 00:23
German to English
Brinkmann/Blaha Feb 2, 2009

I use Ferretti quite often for a variety of jobs, so I view it as a worthwhile investment in any event.

Another communications-related dictionary I often rely on is Brinkmann/Blaha,
WB der Daten-und Kommunikationstechnik

Brandstetter Verlag
ISBN 3-87097-181-9

If there is a CD version of this, I'd recommend getting it rather than the hardcover dictionary, as the binding is quite poor.

Jeana Clark
Jeana Clark  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 23:23
German to English
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you! Feb 2, 2009

Thanks for pointing me in the right direction!

Marcus Malabad
Marcus Malabad  Identity Verified
Canada
German to English
+ ...
Experience, comment Feb 2, 2009

I have been using the Ernst, the Ferretti and the Siemens for about 7 years now. The Ernst is good overall but needs editing. There are typos and omissions. What I don't find in the Ernst, I almost always find in the Siemens. The Siemens and Ernst are comprehensive in electrical eng/electronics, industrial systems and installations, whereas the Ferretti is good in the IT side of telecoms but needs updating (I have the 2000 end edition). In terms of priority, I would go in this direction: Siemens... See more
I have been using the Ernst, the Ferretti and the Siemens for about 7 years now. The Ernst is good overall but needs editing. There are typos and omissions. What I don't find in the Ernst, I almost always find in the Siemens. The Siemens and Ernst are comprehensive in electrical eng/electronics, industrial systems and installations, whereas the Ferretti is good in the IT side of telecoms but needs updating (I have the 2000 end edition). In terms of priority, I would go in this direction: Siemens > Ernst > Ferretti.Collapse

Marc P (X)
Marc P (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 06:23
German to English
+ ...
DE>EN technical dictionary/glossary (telecom) Feb 3, 2009

You might consider the Renouard. When it was published, it was probably the best telecomms-specific DE-EN dictionary, though as far as I can see it hasn't been updated since 2001.

Marc

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

DE>EN techical dictionary/glossary (telecom)

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »