https://www.proz.com/forum/translator_resources/127139-help_with_norms_standards.html

Help with norms/standards
Thread poster: Annett Hieber
Annett Hieber
Annett Hieber  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 12:02
English to German
+ ...
Feb 9, 2009

I am looking for some reference list or other for norms/standards beginning
with A10, A12, A32....., B11, B28, B67......, DIN 75302 and similar. Does
anyone know an Internet address where I can find German as well as
the corresponding English terms for them?

Any help would very much appreciated! Thank you all in advance.

Annett

Lefand
Lefand  Identity Verified
Latvia
Local time: 13:02
Member (2008)
English to Russian
+ ...
I usually make search in Google Feb 9, 2009

In similar cases I usually make search in Google by standard No. This lead me to En and Ge names of necessary standrd(s) very soon.

Ralf Lemster
Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
www.din.de Feb 9, 2009

The DIN website should be a good starting point.

HTH, Ralf

Kevin Lossner
Kevin Lossner  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 11:02
German to English
+ ...
DIN web site Feb 9, 2009

I always do this research on the DIN site. Do not waste time on googling the titles if you can avoid it, because there are a lot of variations out there, and when you are dealing with standards which someone might want to look up and purchase, it is helpful to use the official title even if it is an idiotic translation (which is often the case for DIN standards).

And please do not call them norms in English.

Ken Cox
Ken Cox  Identity Verified
German to English
+ ...
another useful site Feb 9, 2009

A good site for titles of standards (and as Kevin mentioned, these are *not* called norms in English):

http://www.beuth.de/cmd?level=tpl-Suchergebnis&languageid=en

Annett Hieber
Germany
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you for the help! Feb 9, 2009

Hi all,

Thank you, your comments did help me! I found them on the DIN webpage!

To Kevin: I know, I only called them "norms", because this was how they
appeared in my English text. However, the text comes from a
French company......

Annett

[Edited at 2009-02-09 17:52 GMT]

Kevin Lossner
Kevin Lossner  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 11:02
German to English
+ ...
Avoid other people's bad habits Feb 9, 2009

Annett Hieber wrote:
French company......

I can show you enough examples from clueless Brits and Americans who translate that way, so it's not just the fact that the French were involved here. Be as strict as you can in not repeating such errors, which in this case are all too easy to accept if the incorrect word is close to one's native language term. If I use the wrong term, I might get a funny look, but you'll probably get more stones thrown your way because English isn't your native language. No need for that, really.

A similar issue to the names of standards in both languages is the names of various laws. Depending on what kind of work you do, it is really worthwhile to put these strings in your termbase or TM and be sure that they are accurate. For the laws, Victor Dewsbery has put together a nicely researched list on his web site which is well worth a look.

Annett Hieber
Germany
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Good advice! Feb 10, 2009

Kevin Lossner wrote:

Annett Hieber wrote:
French company......

I can show you enough examples from clueless Brits and Americans who translate that way, so it's not just the fact that the French were involved here. Be as strict as you can in not repeating such errors, which in this case are all too easy to accept if the incorrect word is close to one's native language term. If I use the wrong term, I might get a funny look, but you'll probably get more stones thrown your way because English isn't your native language. No need for that, really.

A similar issue to the names of standards in both languages is the names of various laws. Depending on what kind of work you do, it is really worthwhile to put these strings in your termbase or TM and be sure that they are accurate. For the laws, Victor Dewsbery has put together a nicely researched list on his web site which is well worth a look.

Thanks for that good advice - you are right, of course, and I will follow it!
Annett

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Help with norms/standards

Translation news

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »