Off topic: Google the universe!
Thread poster: sylver
sylver
sylver  Identity Verified
Local time: 09:41
English to French
Jul 20, 2003

Yep, we all know www.google.com, and google.fr, google.uk, google.de, etc.

But who here knew that Google was also in Klington?

www.google.com/intl/xx-klingon/

Yes, Google is one step ahead again. (By the way, Klington being unicode, Wordfast offers full support for Kli
... See more

Yes, Google is one step ahead again. (By the way, Klington being unicode, Wordfast offers full support for Klington translations, in case some folks are into that.)

Not to mention other searches:

www.google.com/intl/xx-piglatin/

www.google.com/intl/xx-elmer/

www.google.com/intl/xx-bork/

The full list of languages can be found here. You may find funny that google is translated at 113% in German

services.google.com/tcbin/tc.py?cmd=status

And what's more, search results from these different "languages" may differ from the standard search results (relevant as usual, but not 100% the same). So when you are getting bored or stuck and want a bit of serious fun looking for translations, go there.
Collapse

DGK T-I
DGK T-I  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 02:41
Georgian to English
+ ...
I was intrigued by the reference (in Google's lang list) to a language 'Hacker' Jul 20, 2003

sylver wrote:

Yes, Google is one step ahead again. (By the way, Klington being unicode, Wordfast offers full support for Klington translations, in case some folks are into that.)

Is there actually such a language as 'Hacker'?
Giuli

By chance, I came upon this essay on artificial languges - Tolkien's Elvish(Quenya, etc), & Klingon.
http://www.uib.no/People/hnohf/artlang.htm

http://www.uib.no/People/hnohf/
"The most comprehensive site about Tolkien's invented languages that you are likely to find on the net"
is a general site on Tolkien's Elvish and
other languages embodied in Lord of the Rings - not likely to be of practical value as a professional resource to readers of Proz, but I guess you never know...:-)

[Edited at 2003-07-21 08:44]

sylver
sylver  Identity Verified
Local time: 09:41
English to French
TOPIC STARTER
The one I didn't want to mention ;) Jul 20, 2003

Dr. Giuli Kvrivishvili wrote:

sylver wrote:

Is there actually such a language as 'Hacker'?
Giuli

[Edited at 2003-07-20 17:25]

Just the one I was trying to skip. No, it's just fun. www.google.com/intl/xx-hacker/

But it is well done. Can you understand that?

4DV4NC3D 534RC|-|
PR3F3R3N(3Z
L4|\|GU4G3 700L5

See? Quite easy to read:
(Advanced search
Preferences
Language tools)

Interestingly enough it seems to give different set of answers when searching for software cracks, but I doubt it's on purpose. It is probably because it was querying another data center at the time I tryed.

(Google has several data centers to which the query trafic is redirected, and it sometimes happen the replies are not identical from one data center to the next.)

Anyway, I had a ball looking at that, maybe you guys will find it interesting too

Cheers,
Sylvain
www.your-translations.com

Beth Kantus
Beth Kantus  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 21:41
German to English
fun to twy out Jul 21, 2003

couldn't resist searching for wabbits on the elmer fudd version. really cute - thanks for the grin!

DGK T-I
DGK T-I  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 02:41
Georgian to English
+ ...
Thanks Sylvain Jul 21, 2003

Beth Kantus wrote:

couldn't resist searching for wabbits on the elmer fudd version. really cute - thanks for the grin!

I got so hooked up on the Klingon in your message, I overlooked the wabbit & piglatin engines, etc. They're fun.
Thanks
Giuli

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Google the universe!

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »