Thread poster: Estelle Demontrond-Box

Estelle Demontrond-Box  Identity Verified
Australia
Local time: 05:20
Member (2005)
English to French
+ ...
Feb 27, 2009

We hear about TRADOS so much! Esp. on Proz, whether as ads or as a requested tool for jobs posted on the site.
It is a very expensive tool to buy, so my question is: is it REALLY useful and if it is, for what sort of translator (i-e is ii more worthwhile if you are specialized and if you therefore regularly translate the same sort of texts) and is it REALLY hard to learn how to use it?
Thank you for your help!

Direct link Reply with quote

Susan Welsh  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 14:20
Member (2008)
Russian to English
+ ...
Search the forums Feb 27, 2009

This topic has been discussed intensively in the past. Search the Technology forums. SDL Trados has its forums, and there are others which are more general. After that, you may have more specific questions.

Elías Sauza  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 12:20
Member (2002)
English to Spanish
+ ...
My input Feb 27, 2009

There's been so much written about Trados, but in order to answer you questions:

1. It is a very expensive tool to buy. This is not a question you ask, but an affirmation. It may seem it is an expensive tool, but it has a fast ROI. It may happen that with only one single job you can have your investment back. There must be hundreds of colleagues that attest to this.
2. Is it REALLY useful? Yes it is. Many clients use it and send you translation memories to use them in your translation. If you do not have it, it is of no use for you.
3. It is for specialized translators. Yes, but then it depends what your specialization is. Literary translators maybe never use it and are highly specialized, but nearly any other specialty can make use of it. Trados stretches your possibilities.
4. Is it really hard to learn? No, thousands use it, so it is not. It all depends, I, personally, learned (whatever I know so far) by translating my very first job with it. Sort of a trial and error process. Well, that never ends with Trados.

HTH

Elías

[Edited at 2009-02-27 18:04 GMT]

Tomás Cano Binder, CT  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 19:20
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
My quick replies Feb 27, 2009

Estelle Demontrond-Box wrote:
We hear about TRADOS so much! Esp. on Proz, whether as ads or as a requested tool for jobs posted on the site.
It is a very expensive tool to buy, so my question is: is it REALLY useful and if it is, for what sort of translator (i-e is ii more worthwhile if you are specialized and if you therefore regularly translate the same sort of texts) and is it REALLY hard to learn how to use it?
Thank you for your help!

I agree that you should search Proz's fora about this. You will find all sorts of opinions. I will only summarise my experience after a decade using Trados:

1. Indeed it is really useful, not only the its mainstream application --medium-to-large, repetitive manuals-, but also for frequent small jobs in which you need to keep consistent terminology and expressions, same translation of slogans, job names or product descriptions, etc. along time. It's perfect also for that.

2. No, it is not very hard to learn if you are a proficient user of Windows-based computers. However, it is an industrial-strength tool and as such it's best to get some training on the basic use. Many people get desperate because they fail to understand the basic process when they try to start using the tool. If you decide to invest in the tool, reserve some time and money to get proper initial training: you will be happier and will recover your investment rather quickly.

Many people might tell you that there are other tools that will offer the same service for a fraction of Trados' price, but it's just like everything in life: if you want an industrial-strength tool, go for Trados. It's not that expensive considering what you receive in exchange, and it's also the de facto standard for CAT tools among agencies and customers.

Estelle Demontrond-Box  Identity Verified
Australia
Local time: 05:20
Member (2005)
English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Wanted advice to be up to date Feb 27, 2009

Susan Welsh wrote:

This topic has been discussed intensively in the past. Search the Technology forums. SDL Trados has its forums, and there are others which are more general. After that, you may have more specific questions.

Hi Susan,
I completely understand your point. I just wanted some up to date advice and opinions.
Thanks

ViktoriaG  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 14:20
English to French
+ ...
It depends Feb 28, 2009

Yes, it is useful but not for every type of job. While those who translate user's manuals usually find CAT tools in general very handy, literary translators usually find them totally useless. But I would say that Trados & Co are not as useful in helping you work more efficiently as they are in securing you jobs. It is sad, but there are lots of agencies who will simply not work with you if you don't have and use the CAT tool of their choice (usually Trados).

Don't get me wrong - I love my CAT tools. It's just that they are not always as relevant as some agencies would want you to believe, and they have a tendency to benefit your clients more than they benefit you. Also, don't forget that Trados isn't the only CAT tool. Several other, more affordable tools offer the same set of features, many of them are more user-friendly, most produce files that are compatible with those produced by Trados, and the overwhelming majority is much cheaper. If you want to buy Trados, investigate the other CAT tools first. You may find a better yet more affordable fit elsewhere.

Sandra& Kenneth  Identity Verified
Israel
Local time: 20:20
Member (2009)
French to English
+ ...
Definitely Feb 28, 2009

Hi Estelle,
I would suggest starting with Wordfast Classic, which is very user-friendly and very similar in concept with Trados Workbench (which is basically "Trados"). The trial version of Wordfast 5.xx is fully functional and the manuals are quite good (don't bother with Wordfast 6).

I use Trados for ALL my translations, even if there is not chance of repetitions, for the Quality Control aspects - the chance of missing text is next to zero.

You don't need any paid courses to learn Trados - just use "Trados for Idiots" a very simple tutorial you will easily find by googling it, Jerzy Czopik's Trados manual which also should be available somewhere on this site, and the supplied tutorials.
The documentation provided with Trados is very stuffy and you get easily lost.
Some of the modules supplied with the Trados package are totally useless to me: I never use SDLX or Synergy.

Yes, it's expensive. Yes, it paid for itself.

Best regards,
Sandra

Katharina Harer  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 11:20
Member (2007)
English to German
+ ...
Having problems with Trados Mar 11, 2009

Hi there!

I would be really helpfull if anyone could tell me why my Workbench is not able to connect to my MultiTerm Termbase!

Thanks a lot!

Best regards

Kate

Anna Sylvia Villegas Carvallo
Mexico
Local time: 12:20
English to Spanish
Katharina Haerer Mar 11, 2009

Try to connect it this way:

(Workbench menu) OPTIONS > Term Recognition Options > Termbase > MultiTerm version: > (Your termbase here) > Browse termbase location > Click Accept button > Voilà!!

This should help.

Christine Andersen  Identity Verified
Denmark
Member (2003)
Danish to English
+ ...
Wordfast is a good way to start before spending money. Mar 11, 2009

The agency I worked for in house started me off with Trados.
When I went freelance I had to buy it, because I was still working for them a lot, and I depend on a CAT of some sort.

How soon it pays for itself depends very much on the kind of work you do.
I am NOT convinced that it saves time. It changes the way you work, and if you have a number of regular clients, it is useful for keeping terminology sorted and consistent.

The suggestion of trying Wordfast is good. For various reasons I have started using it, and am delighted with it. It has all the functions I ever need, including tags and Power Point, and the glossary function is simpler to edit and operate than Multiterm, the Trados glossary attachment. (For my purposes, Trados without Multiterm is a lame duck, but not entirely useless. The glossary has to be maintained, however.)

The Wordfast demo version is free, and it is compatible with Trados. I send uncleaned Wordfast files to my 'Trados' agencies when I work in Wordfast, and they have no problems at all.

As Sangro says, start with the latest version of Wordfast Classic, and ignore Wordfast 6, which is a different setup. When you have decided whether a CAT tool of that sort is useful to you, buy one of them. It is not very difficult to 'change gear' from Wordfast to Trados or the other way, and you can even use the same Translation Memories.

I have not succeeded in transferring glossaries, so you may need to make a decision one way or the other, but in theory you can transfer glossaries too.

Best of luck!

xxxEric Hahn  Identity Verified
France
French to German
+ ...
Wrdfast pro Mar 11, 2009

Christine Andersen wrote:
As Sangro says, start with the latest version of Wordfast Classic, and ignore Wordfast 6, which is a different setup.

I never had problems with Wordfast 6 or "pro" because it was my first try.
So, for me, there was no great difference ...

Peter Bouillon  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2005)
French to German
+ ...
You see? Mar 11, 2009

Estelle Demontrond-Box wrote:
We hear about TRADOS so much! Esp. on Proz, whether as ads or as a requested tool for jobs posted on the site. It is a very expensive tool to buy, so my question is: is it REALLY useful

So there you are. Agencies request it, so if you want the work they offer, it is useful to have.

*shrug*

P.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Maria Castro[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

TRADOS

Advanced search

Translation news

WordFinder
The words you want Anywhere, Anytime

WordFinder is the market's fastest and easiest way of finding the right word, term, translation or synonym in one or more dictionaries. In our assortment you can choose among more than 120 dictionaries in 15 languages from leading publishers.

More info »
LSP.expert
You’re a freelance translator? LSP.expert helps you manage your daily translation jobs. It’s easy, fast and secure.

How about you start tracking translation jobs and sending invoices in minutes? You can also manage your clients and generate reports about your business activities. So you always keep a clear view on your planning, AND you get a free 30 day trial period!

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs