https://www.proz.com/forum/translator_resources/128773-i_am_no_longer_this_forums_moderator.html

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >
Off topic: I am no longer this forum's moderator
Thread poster: Maria Karra
Maria Karra
Maria Karra  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 14:32
Member (2000)
Greek to English
+ ...
Feb 27, 2009

Hi everyone,
This is to let you know that I am no longer the moderator of Translator Resources and a GlossPost administrator. Actually I'm no longer a moderator, period. This includes Greek-English KudoZ, Spanish-Greek kudoz, and the Spanish forum.

My work in this forum has been for the most part behind the scenes, trying to keep this area well organized and advertisement-free, and guiding new users who have been posting all kinds of issues here because this forum is the firs
... See more
Hi everyone,
This is to let you know that I am no longer the moderator of Translator Resources and a GlossPost administrator. Actually I'm no longer a moderator, period. This includes Greek-English KudoZ, Spanish-Greek kudoz, and the Spanish forum.

My work in this forum has been for the most part behind the scenes, trying to keep this area well organized and advertisement-free, and guiding new users who have been posting all kinds of issues here because this forum is the first one they come across (it happens to be the first on the list of proz forums).
Translator Resources has really given me a lot: being its moderator meant that I had to read every single posting, and so I learned a lot about CAT tools, machine translation, dictionaries, translation books, etc. I am grateful to all its participants. Thank you.

And remember people: Trados questions go in the Trados forum. Jobs should be posted in the jobs area. Offers for cheap Nike shoes and sexy garments should be posted on other websites.
I just found out that the shoe guy has been posting in Off-Topic too.
http://www.proz.com/forum/off_topic/128723-off_topic_forum_moderator_resigns.html#1065416
And I thought I was the only one that was lucky enough to read all those great offers... Oh well...

See you around! It's been a great 9 years.
Maria

[Edited at 2009-02-28 09:42 GMT]
Collapse

Stéphanie Soudais
Stéphanie Soudais  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 20:32
English to French
what's going on? Feb 27, 2009

Hi Maria,

Well, you're the third moderator this week to announce resignation, plus a fourth one in my pair who is now no longer available. What's going on?...

[Edited at 2009-02-27 22:50 GMT]

JaneTranslates
JaneTranslates  Identity Verified
Puerto Rico
Spanish to English
+ ...
Exactly what I was wondering. Feb 27, 2009

Stéphanie Soudais wrote:

Hi Maria,

Well, you're the third moderator this week to announce resignation, plus a fourth one in my pair who is now no longer available. What's going on?...

[Edited at 2009-02-27 22:50 GMT]

But I suspect we're not going to find out. The two I have in mind are classy and discreet ladies. (Too bad!;-))

Jessica Noyes
Jessica Noyes  Identity Verified
United States
Spanish to English
+ ...
Thank you very much Feb 27, 2009

As one who has benefited from your efforts for a while now, I would like to thank you for all you have done for those of us who use proz. Good luck in your future ventures!

Roomy Naqvy
Roomy Naqvy  Identity Verified
India
Local time: 00:02
English to Hindi
+ ...
Et, Tu, Maria! Feb 28, 2009

Maria, you too!

Hello from an ex-moderator....hope its sheer physical fatigue and nothing else. Do keep in touch off-site.

Roomy Naqvy
http://issuesinacademics.blogspot.com/

Maria Karra
United States
Member (2000)
Greek to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Hi Roomy Feb 28, 2009

Roomy Naqvy wrote:
Maria, you too!

Hello from an ex-moderator....hope its sheer physical fatigue and nothing else. Do keep in touch off-site.

Physical fatigue? What? At my age? No way!

Maria Karra
United States
Member (2000)
Greek to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Hi Stéphanie Feb 28, 2009

Stéphanie Soudais wrote:

Hi Maria,

I can't speak for others, but in my case the reason was disagreements with ProZ management. That's all I can say about it. But I'm still here as a member, this site -and especially my old forums- will always be dear to my heart, and I'm always available for questions/info/guidance. Bug me anytime!
Cheers!
Maria

Williamson
Williamson  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 19:32
Flemish to English
+ ...
No moderators. Feb 28, 2009

Thanks. What if like in old times (1999-2001) moderators were abolished?
Nice flame-wars again by forum stars : Look how good "I" am and look how "bad" all the others are?

[Edited at 2009-02-28 11:41 GMT]

Ines Garcia Botana
Ines Garcia Botana  Identity Verified
Local time: 15:32
English to Spanish
+ ...
Missing you Feb 28, 2009

We will miss you terribly, María. You know it.

Much love and good luck.

Inés

JaneTranslates
JaneTranslates  Identity Verified
Puerto Rico
Spanish to English
+ ...
Me too. Mar 1, 2009

My previous posting in this forum probably appeared flippant. María, you're the best. I'll miss you and Özden very much. (I don't know who the other moderator mentioned by Stéphanie is.) I'm sure you had good reason; whether it was due to disagreements or just to no longer having time for the extra work is none of my business. I wish you well and hope you will still be hanging out around here!

Gabriela Mejías
Gabriela Mejías  Identity Verified
Argentina
English to Spanish
+ ...
A pity, indeed... Mar 1, 2009

... to know the best mods like you are leaving. However, it does not surprise me, and I'm sure you've made the right decision.

Thank you for all your effort, María.

See you around!

Gaby

Jared Tabor
Jared Tabor
SITE STAFF
Announcement of redefinition of moderator role Mar 2, 2009

Hello all,

For those who may not have seen it already, Henry has announced the redefinition of the moderator role here: http://www.proz.com/topic/128900 .

Best regards,

Jared

Fernando D. Walker
Fernando D. Walker  Identity Verified

English to Spanish
+ ...
Thank you, María Mar 2, 2009

Unfortunately, more and more excellent professionals are leaving Proz. It is a pity, but, at the same time, it is sign that Proz is no longer what it used to be.
Good luck, María!
Best regards,
Fernando

Angela Arnone
Angela Arnone  Identity Verified
Local time: 20:32
Member (2004)
Italian to English
+ ...
Moderators have never been abolished! Mar 3, 2009

Moderators were recruited some time after the site was created, precisely because they were required to make the venue a civilized place to be. That may not have been clear to everyone, but this site would never have become the massive success it is today without the unstinting and unpaid contribution of dozens of volunteers.

As the site has grown and evolved, also and especially thanks to moderators old and new, its needs have changed and like any institution or organization, deve
... See more
Moderators were recruited some time after the site was created, precisely because they were required to make the venue a civilized place to be. That may not have been clear to everyone, but this site would never have become the massive success it is today without the unstinting and unpaid contribution of dozens of volunteers.

As the site has grown and evolved, also and especially thanks to moderators old and new, its needs have changed and like any institution or organization, development is inevitable to assure survival.

Today is a watershed and I, for one, look forward to seeing the next stage in the ProZ story.

Thanks to Henry and all my fellow mods for the input that has helped me to grow as a person and a professional.

Angela

Williamson wrote:

Thanks. What if like in old times (1999-2001) moderators were abolished?
Nice flame-wars again by forum stars : Look how good "I" am and look how "bad" all the others are?

[Edited at 2009-02-28 11:41 GMT]
Collapse

Fabio Descalzi
Fabio Descalzi  Identity Verified
Uruguay
Member (2004)
German to Spanish
+ ...
Many, many thank youZ, Maria :) Mar 7, 2009

Dear Maria
Maria Karra wrote:
Hi everyone,
I'm no longer a moderator, period.
(...)
My work in this forum has been for the most part behind the scenes, trying to keep this area well organized and advertisement-free, and guiding new users who have been posting all kinds of issues here because this forum is the first one they come across (it happens to be the first on the list of proz forums).

Alas, you really did a wonderful work "inside"! And a very professional, accurate, detailed work. My admiration for you cannot be bigger.

And you undertook yet another hard task, moderating the Spanish forum, one of the most visited and active in this community.

I was very glad to have you as a fellow Mod, you were one of my best examples to follow.

See ya around!

Fabio

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

I am no longer this forum's moderator

Translation news

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »