Thread poster: Helena Grahn

Helena Grahn  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 12:31
Member (2006)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Mar 5, 2009

I have translated a marriage certificate from Swedish into English and the client wants it notarized. Where can I get it done? Or can my client himself get it done and pay separately?

[Edited at 2009-03-06 12:43 GMT]

Direct link Reply with quote

Jack Doughty  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2000)
Russian to English
+ ...
ITI on the subject. Mar 5, 2009

This is from the FAQ section of the ITI website.

4 I need an "official" or "certified" translation, can ITI help me?
For most purposes, this usually requires either using the services of a sworn translator (this would be a translator sworn before a court in a non-UK jurisdiction), or a Fellow (FITI) or Member (MITI) of ITI who may self-certify the translation. You can also have the translation notarised before a Notary Public or Notary Scrivener (usually listed in Yellow Pages). ITI publishes a set of guidelines and seals for self-certification by its members.

Note that the word is spelt "notarised" or "notarized".

Andre de Vries  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2003)
Dutch to English
+ ...
go to a solicitor Mar 6, 2009

A solicitor in the UK will do this for a small fee. You swear an affidavit that your translation is accurate. He/she has to bind the pages together so they cannot be tampered with. Charge the customer for your time as well.

Jason Ma  Identity Verified
China
Local time: 19:31
English to Chinese
+ ...
In China Mar 6, 2009

We go to Civil Affairs Bureau to get the translation of Marriage Certificate notarized.

Helena Grahn  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2006)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Phoned a solicitor Mar 6, 2009

and he says he charges £60. That is way too much compared with £5.

[Edited at 2009-03-06 13:05 GMT]

Anita Cassidy  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2005)
English to German
£5 for what? Mar 6, 2009

While I can see that your client might not want to pay an extra £60, I don't understand your comparison? What is the alternative that would cost a mere £5?
If it's really a notarisation that's required, I doubt any other solicitor would do it for (much) less.

Tim Drayton  Identity Verified
Cyprus
Local time: 14:31
Turkish to English
+ ...
Sounds right to me Mar 6, 2009

It is a long time since I was a freelance translator in the UK so things may have changed. I used to have translations sworn in quite frequently by solicitors and there was a statutory fee for this transaction. Solicitors were not permitted to charge less or more. There was thus no point in shopping around. The amount you mentions sounds about right to me.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Maria Castro[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How can I get a translation notarized?

Advanced search

Translation news

PDF Translation - the Easy Way
TransPDF converts your PDFs to XLIFF ready for professional translation.

TransPDF converts your PDFs to XLIFF ready for professional translation. It also puts your translations back into the PDF to make new PDFs. Quicker and more accurate than hand-editing PDF. Includes free use of Infix PDF Editor with your translated PDFs.

More info »
Across v6.3
Translation Toolkit and Sales Potential under One Roof

Apart from features that enable you to translate more efficiently, the new Across Translator Edition v6.3 comprises your crossMarket membership. The new online network for Across users assists you in exploring new sales potential and generating revenue.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs