Carlos Segura
Carlos Segura  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 02:13
Member (2010)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Mar 12, 2009

Sorry to bother you all with such a trivial matter.

I use this with numbers, for instance, 2 500 kW, where I wouldn't and end of line after "2" or after "2 500".

I imagine many of you have used this. I discovered and started using it quite a few months ago, but after two or three weeks without using it, I've forgotten its shortcut in the keyboard, can't find it in Word's help (I don't even know the specific name for it). I don't know what this says about my brain functi
... See more
Sorry to bother you all with such a trivial matter.

I use this with numbers, for instance, 2 500 kW, where I wouldn't and end of line after "2" or after "2 500".

I imagine many of you have used this. I discovered and started using it quite a few months ago, but after two or three weeks without using it, I've forgotten its shortcut in the keyboard, can't find it in Word's help (I don't even know the specific name for it). I don't know what this says about my brain function.

I would be grateful for a reminder of its keyboard shortcut.

Many thanks in advance!

Carlos
Collapse

Sergei Leshchinsky
Sergei Leshchinsky  Identity Verified
Ukraine
Local time: 03:13
Member (2008)
English to Russian
+ ...
CTRL+SHIFT+Space Mar 12, 2009

Also menu: Insert Character - Special - ...

Melissa Medart
Melissa Medart  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 20:13
English to French
+ ...
ALT + 0160 Mar 12, 2009

I prefer CTRL+SHIFT+space too in Word, but in powerpoint presentations, I use ALT+0160 since CTRL+SHIFT+space doesn't work.

Noni Gilbert Riley
Noni Gilbert Riley
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
Thank you Mar 12, 2009

Both to Sergei for reminding us how and to you Carlos for pointing out that you can do it anyway - I've long been frustrated by occasions like the one you mention!

Vito Smolej
Vito Smolej
Germany
Member (2004)
English to Slovenian
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
it's not trivial, it's essential sometimes Mar 12, 2009

... like in PIL/SPC (where it is mandatory in specified places).

Hint: ^s in search and replace, so one can hunt "wrong" spaces by replacing [0-9] kW with [0-9]^skW

Per Magnus
Per Magnus  Identity Verified
English to Norwegian
Microsoft Help Mar 12, 2009

Carlos Segura wrote:
can't find it in Word's help (I don't even know the specific name for it).

Microsoft help is not really helpful. Anyone knows a link to a place where these special characters are described?

Tony M
Tony M
France
French to English
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
Insert > Special characters menu Mar 12, 2009

Per Magnus wrote:
Anyone knows a link to a place where these special characters are described?

The menu under 'Insert' is actually quite a bit of help on this one.

For reference, the character being discussed here is frequently known as a 'non-breaking space', often abbreviated or found in code as [nbsp]

There is also an equivalent non-breaking hyphen, which is very handy; but woe is me, there is not a 'non-breaking en dash' [ – ] this is a constant pain to me, when, for example, I don't want something like 2005–7 to break at the end of a line; both the en dash and em dash [ — ] are treated by Word as if they were simple hyphens. But I have found a workaround, which is to use the Unicode minus sign − which is not treated as a hyphen, and so doesn't break! Sadly, don't know how to make the keyboard shortcut work for this, but at least it is available from the 'special characters' menu

[Edited at 2009-03-12 22:19 GMT]

Carlos Segura
Carlos Segura  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2010)
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you! Mar 13, 2009

Big thanks to All for your help, it is very much appreciated.

Kindest regards, Carlos

Vito Smolej
Vito Smolej
Germany
Member (2004)
English to Slovenian
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
a macro to enter a Unicode character Mar 13, 2009

Tony M wrote:
....don't know how to make the keyboard shortcut work for this...

Sub enterMinus()
Selection.TypeText Text:=ChrW(&0336)
End Sub

(you can simply "record macro" it, then it does exactly what you are typing anyhow)

I assume &0336 is the right unicode character. What you need then is just
a) add the macro to normal.dot
b) define some keyboard accelerator (Ctrl - for instance, not used in default word) to execute this macro

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Blank space with hidden character that disables "end of line" in Word

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »