Thread poster: Lutz Molderings

Lutz Molderings  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 10:03
Member (2007)
German to English
+ ...
Mar 22, 2009

Perhaps it's just me or my language combination, but I find this particular website extremely annoying. Whenever I'm searching for a translation (e.g. search word + German), Google lists eudict.com as a possible source. However, if I click on the link, eudict.com invariably informs me that no entry was found.

It seems to me that all the owner of this website has done is present miles upon miles of monolingual terminology next to columns of various languages names. This may be a good way to direct traffic to your website, but it is rather annoying to the person searching for a translation.

Anyway, I suppose I should simply ignore the website. I just thought I would mention it here as it's been annoying me for quite some time.

[Edited at 2009-03-22 20:33 GMT]

Direct link Reply with quote

xxxMihai Badea  Identity Verified
Luxembourg
Member (2004)
English to Romanian
+ ...
Things you may want to try Mar 22, 2009

Hi Lutz,

There are two things you may want to try.

1) If you think that what eudict.com is doing may be considered as spam, you can report that to Google.

2) You can use SearchWiki to personalize your search results. In order for this to work, you would need to be logged in to your Google account whenever you do a search.

Lutz Molderings  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2007)
German to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks for your suggestions Mihai Mar 22, 2009

I will definitely look into SearchWiki.

I'm not sure whether this practice can be considered spam.
If you look up tree, house and cat you will find your translations, but for anything slightly more unusual the website is utterly pointless.

ViktoriaG  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 04:03
English to French
+ ...
Spam Mar 22, 2009

The site in question may be a site that is used to draw a lot of traffic. Whoever is behind it may be selling links from that site to sites looking for traffic. Since the site has a lot of traffic, they can then sell links on it at high prices. This is one of many tricks used by the shadier type of search engine optimization companies to make money. However, it is a huge nuisance for the rest of us...

Igor Indruch  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
English to Czech
That site is not professional (but no spam at all!) Mar 23, 2009

I tried several words and language combination. And for instance Croatian-Czech works quite well. But it si true that in English-German there were no usable result even for such basic words like castle or butter...

Well, it is quite understandable - the author of the site is from Croatia. And this is not a "big project" but "one man show". After all, he is quite open about it:

"My name is Tomislav Kuzmic, I live in Croatia and this site is my personal project. I am responsible for concept, design, programming and development. I do this in my spare time."

I think that Tomislav did quite a good work. Too bad he has no guestbook or forum, where user could write him their opinion. Some language pairs really need improvement.

[Edited at 2009-03-23 11:04 GMT]

Samuel Hunt  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2007)
German to English
+ ...
Yes Apr 30, 2009

Basically, I agree with Mr Indruch - eudict is pretty decent for Croatian. Had the designer had left it as a reference for Croatian to/from other languages, it would have been a valuable asset, since there are very few Croatian online dictionaries worth mentioning.

I think interlinking all the languages offered on that site was really going overboard, since they clearly don't have the content for most of the language combinations.

And of course it can be borderline infuriating when eurodict pretends to know the word you're looking for. I wish they would make the dictionary results inaccessible to search engines like most online dictionaries are (Leo, for instance).

At any rate, I'm still loathe to heap on the criticism with eurodict; indeed I consider it admirable of Tomislav Kuzmic to go to the trouble to compile such a thing for the benefit of others, in spite of its flaws. It has saved me many trips to the university library in search of a Croatian dictionary.

[Bearbeitet am 2009-05-01 06:33 GMT]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Maria Castro[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Do you find eudict.com annoying?

Advanced search

Translation news

PerfectIt consistency checker
Faster Checking, Greater Accuracy

PerfectIt helps deliver error-free documents. It improves consistency, ensures quality and helps to enforce style guides. It’s a powerful tool for pro users, and comes with the assurance of a 30-day money back guarantee.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs