Thread poster: Louise Souter (X)
Louise Souter (X)
Louise Souter (X)  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 09:37
Spanish to English
+ ...
Mar 24, 2009

Can anyone recommend a good French English legal dictionary?

Elisabetta MULATERO PARLIER
Elisabetta MULATERO PARLIER
Local time: 10:37
English to French
+ ...
Lexique des termes juridiques Dalloz Mar 24, 2009

Hi,
I bought the first during my first year of law studies. I bought a newest version few years ago - as there may be a new edition I don't give you the ISBN. You can check on www.dalloz. fr
It does not give many details but it helps understanding the concept.
Among other legal editors there is litec, Editions Francis Lefèbvre. You can also have a look on the web site village de la justice to see o
... See more
Hi,
I bought the first during my first year of law studies. I bought a newest version few years ago - as there may be a new edition I don't give you the ISBN. You can check on www.dalloz. fr
It does not give many details but it helps understanding the concept.
Among other legal editors there is litec, Editions Francis Lefèbvre. You can also have a look on the web site village de la justice to see other editors.

Elisabetta
Collapse

Karen Stokes
Karen Stokes  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2003)
French to English
Bridge / Cornu Mar 24, 2009

If you're looking for a bilingual dictionary try F.H.S Bridge's Council of Europe French-English Legal Dictionary (there's a separate volume for English-French) ISBN 92-871-2496-5. I think it's available from the CoE or you should be able to get it from Grant and Cutler in Great Marlborough Street in London.

For a French-only option, try G. Cornu's Vocabulaire juridique published by PUF.

Best,

Karen

Anne-Marie Grant (X)
Anne-Marie Grant (X)  Identity Verified
French to English
+ ...
F.H.S. Bridge's Mar 24, 2009

I have sometimes found the Dalloz insufficient for my needs and the Bridge's much better - very good explanations as well as translations..

Jennifer Forbes
Jennifer Forbes  Identity Verified
French to English
+ ...
In memoriam
Agree 100% Mar 25, 2009

Karen Stokes wrote:

If you're looking for a bilingual dictionary try F.H.S Bridge's Council of Europe French-English Legal Dictionary (there's a separate volume for English-French) ISBN 92-871-2496-5. I think it's available from the CoE or you should be able to get it from Grant and Cutler in Great Marlborough Street in London.

For a French-only option, try G. Cornu's Vocabulaire juridique published by PUF.

Best,

Karen

I absolutely agree. The Council of Europe Fr-Eng Legal Dictionary is excellent. I find it much more helpful than my Dahl's Law Dictionary, although that is also useful. I got them both from Grant & Cutler.
Best wishes,
Jenny

Ivette Camargo López
Ivette Camargo López  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 10:37
English to Spanish
+ ...
@ Anne-Marie Grant & Elisabetta M. (about the dictionary reference board) Mar 26, 2009

Ladies,

In case you are interested, Proz.com has recently launched a "dictionary reference board" (see http://www.proz.com/references ), where you can add references such as the dictionaries you just mentioned.

In case you have already done so, never mind my comment, but if not, if you have the time and interest, please take a minute to enter your references, as it might be more h
... See more
Ladies,

In case you are interested, Proz.com has recently launched a "dictionary reference board" (see http://www.proz.com/references ), where you can add references such as the dictionaries you just mentioned.

In case you have already done so, never mind my comment, but if not, if you have the time and interest, please take a minute to enter your references, as it might be more helpful to have them there than in the forums.

Salut,

Ivette
Collapse

Louise Souter (X)
Louise Souter (X)  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
F.H.S Bridge it is Mar 26, 2009

Thank you for your recommendations: I'll be buy the F.H.S Bridge when I get paid. I thought I should point out that while this dictionary costs £35 from CoE, Grant and Cutler charge a whopping £56.

Estelle Demontrond-Box
Estelle Demontrond-Box  Identity Verified
Australia
Local time: 18:37
English to French
+ ...
CoE? May 13, 2009

Sorry but what does CoE stand for? (at the risk of souding dumb! Council of Europe?)

Estelle Demontrond-Box
Estelle Demontrond-Box  Identity Verified
Australia
Local time: 18:37
English to French
+ ...
English-French May 13, 2009

So I found the CoE site (;-)) but cannot find the English to French version of their legal dictionary.

Karen mentions it:
"If you're looking for a bilingual dictionary try F.H.S Bridge's Council of Europe French-English Legal Dictionary (there's a separate volume for English-French) ISBN 92-871-2496-5."

Would anybody know where I can find it?

Thank you!

SME
SME  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
English to French
+ ...
F.H.S Bridge's Council of Europe Legal Dictionary Jul 19, 2010

I have purchased the French to English version which is very concise and seems to be used by most lawyers involved in translation that I have met in various seminars. However, I cannot get hold of the legal glossary from English into French which I thought was also from the COE. I wrote to them and they replied that there is no exact english version. Has anyone come accross the same problem and what would you recommend to use for legal translations from English into French? I would prefer to... See more
I have purchased the French to English version which is very concise and seems to be used by most lawyers involved in translation that I have met in various seminars. However, I cannot get hold of the legal glossary from English into French which I thought was also from the COE. I wrote to them and they replied that there is no exact english version. Has anyone come accross the same problem and what would you recommend to use for legal translations from English into French? I would prefer to stick to FHS Bridge if possible...

Sylvie
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

French legal dictionaries

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »