Have you worked on a tablet pc?
Thread poster: Maria Paula Campagnari Bueno
Maria Paula Campagnari Bueno  Identity Verified
Local time: 15:34
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Mar 27, 2009

Hi folks!
I'm curious. Does any of you own a tablet PC? What do you think about it? Workwise, I mean. Has anybody tried it for helping in something related to translation?
We talk a lot about smartphones and notebooks, but tablet PCs could be great assets.
What do you think?

Direct link Reply with quote

Tomás Cano Binder, CT  Identity Verified
Local time: 19:34
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
I don't have one Mar 27, 2009

But to me, as most of our work means typing a lot of text and clicking around a lot, it does not sound as a very good alternative for translation work, unless you only mean to say review or proofreading in which you don't need to type much (unless the text is mess or you have to explain your decisions).

English to Russian
+ ...
in a case of emergency... Mar 27, 2009

Time to time I did use my PDA when I was away from the desktop and Inet-cafes, but it seems neither useful nor effective. Indeed I do make use of NetBooks or EEE PCs (subnotes) when roaming around but they are MUCH more of help IMO. The main advantages were:
- OS Windows XP (can run the same software as desktop)
- 7-10" screen (more than some pathetic 4")
- rather tiny (but real) keyboard

Once I had to work with a Fujitsu ST4120 -
10.4" screen/ RAM 256MB/ HDD 30GB/ no touchpad+keyboard+BlueTooth+WLAN/ ~3.5hrs/ ~1.5Kg
I paid for it some $2000 and now my nephew uses it as a drawingboard digitizer...
Alas, I couldn't find it as a good translator's tool. So I think that at least a notebook will nicely do

[Редактировалось 2009-03-27 10:18 GMT]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Maria Castro[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Have you worked on a tablet pc?

Advanced search

Translation news

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Déjà Vu X3
Try it, Love it

Find out why Déjà Vu is today the most flexible, customizable and user-friendly tool on the market. See the brand new features in action: *Completely redesigned user interface *Live Preview *Inline spell checking *Inline

More info »

All of
  • All of
  • Term search
  • Jobs